«

»
2 x 5Ah Cyclon's Alternat­ive front wh… P1020919s
Alternative front wheel bearings
Click the picture to view full size.
these fit the front wheel hubs, the only thing needed is to reduce the front spindle tube a couple of thou so the roller will slide a little.

Poster information

Item Info

Owen

• Administrator
  • Total Items: 163
  • Total Comments: 0
PostedNovember 20, 2010, 04:48:54 PM
Width × Height1144 × 790
Filesize427 KB
FilenameAlternative front wheel bearings.jpg
Views260
Rating
Comments1
BBC embed code
HTML embed code
Direct link
Comments Sorting comments by date - Ascending Descending

Brooklands

• Total Items: 3
  • Total Comments: 1
Comment #1 - Posted December 05, 2010, 09:45:44 PM
Hi Owen, although I've put my taper bearings in as per 'finally got my wheels built' thread, I've been thinking about your idea of a spacer tube between 2 'loose' bearings.
I mentioned the probs of shimming on my car, but came up with another option that might suit someone with your engineering skills, in a situation where power transmission isn't an issue.
The idea was to make up a dumbell spacer, sectioned and overlapping in the middle. One section with fine (30tpi?) male and the other sleeved with with matching female, threads hidden. You could index mark  each sleeve on its length by hand with a cutting tool  in the lathe (in the past I made a simple indexer with a cloth metric tape measure round the chuck and a fixed pointer). Just divide the total tape length in mm by 360 and mark one index say every 20 degrees - makes about 1.8 thou per mark when rotated? Mark a small section of the other sleeve more closely and it will act like a micrometer.
It does not need to be deadly accurate, as it is just an indication of too tight or loose. Adjustment would then be made by removing one roller bearing & sleeve , rotating the sleeve in or out, refit & check. Easier and quicker than shimming . You can machine down your existing cones to 12mm as per previous thread and use all the standard felt/washer arrangement.  

Keep up the good work!
Joe
Aeva Media 1.4w © 2008-2011 Nao & Dragooon - Wedge: level up your forum!