$context['previous_next'] = $modSettings['enablePreviousNext'] ? '' . $txt['previous_next_back'] . ' ' . $txt['previous_next_forward'] . '' : ''; 1958 C12 Single seat

Author Topic: 1958 C12 Single seat  (Read 1517 times)

Offline AdminPete

• Administrator
1958 C12 Single seat
« on: November 29, 2008, 09:56:31 AM »
I have a 1958 C12 ready for strip and renovation, I like the look of the single seat as opposed to the long double, can any one advise if the C12 was ever sold with the single seat ? Can a C12 be fitted with a single seat ? Has anyone got any photo's of a C12 with a single seat? Also pitch in if you have any comments about conversions standard and none standard, should a bike be kept original as possible or do none standard alterations detract from what having a classic bike is all about ?
Tim

First  Previous  2-8 of 8  Next  Last  Delete Replies   

Recommend  Delete    Message 2 of 8 in Discussion   

Hi Tim, How's the grand daughter? My personal feeling about originality is that it is a good thing to impart your own personal preferences on to the bike. The important thing is that you caring for, and keeping the bike alive and preferabely rideing it.
I say, go ahead and stamp your personality on it and enjoy.
I may be wrong but I think all C12's came with dual seats, but it would be quite simple to adapt to single with a bit of bracketry. I have a '57 C12 that is about three weeks away from being back on the road after a 17 year "rest", and I have just fitted indicators ( the purists cringe, but I think they look good, and of course they are functional) Good luck

Recommend  Delete    Message 3 of 8 in Discussion   

Hi Camman3, Grand daughter is as sweet as sugar but keeping her parents up most nights ( sweet revenge), thanks for coming back on my question about single / double seat, I reckon your right 'if you want it ,do it', the bike is maroon at the moment but that's also is going to change to black. Glad to hear you bike is near to resurrection, how about posting a few pics on the site and possibly telling us about your trials and tribulations in geting it from retirement to back on the road.
Timyt

Recommend  Delete    Message 4 of 8 in Discussion   

Hi Tim, Yes I will be posting some pictures soon, need to get wheels in and get it outside, as the workshop is a bit compact for my camera lens!. Only problem outstanding is wet sumping (looking for solution on that one?), apart from that most of the renovation was straight foward and enjoyable, especially when she fired up first kick. The grin on my son's face was worth all the hard work. By the way BritBits in Christchurch Dorset had some nice sprung single seats in stock when I was there this morning, about £45 quid I think. Graham

Recommend  Delete    Message 5 of 8 in Discussion   

Hello Tim,
I've just finished my C12, to which I've fitted a single seat, indicators + 12 volt electrics with electronic assist ignition. Looks + works fine.
If you send your E-mail address I can send you a picture or two.
The seat is a small repro item, need to weld some bracketts to the front of it + fit SMALL springs to the rear (available Armours).
Regards, Mike
PS need better condition points cam if you have or know of one available!

Recommend  Delete    Message 6 of 8 in Discussion   

I believe the police model C12 was fitted with a single seat and the radio box was fitted where the pillion brackets, the rear springs was fitted to the front mountings of the lifting handles.

Recommend  Delete    Message 7 of 8 in Discussion   

Police C12's were certainatly fitted with single saddles, I have a General Post Office B175 Bantam fiied with the same seat , you will find the military BSA B40 had similar saddle, which will fit the C12  just manufacture some half round brackets to fit around the rear frame. It makes a very comfortable riding position, and is certainatly comfy on the riders rear end I have spinal arthritus and find the single saddle agreat help.

Recommend  Delete    Message 8 of 8 in Discussion   

Aloha,

The single seat was an option. And can be bolted to the frame using the fixing studs (67-4040 = saddle rear fixing stud). You have to use short spings.

gp

Offline fgt999

Re: 1958 C12 Single seat
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 12:08:12 AM »
Hi mikexyz1

I am planning to install a single seat as well can you add some pictures? are they already on the gallery ?

cheers
Phillip

Offline C101112

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 08:38:59 AM »

I found a picture of the Police C12 in Steve Wilson's book : British Mcycles since 1950, vol 2 (page 71):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

May help.
Northern France, 100 miles from London, as the crow (or the swallow, or any bird) flies.

Offline alanio

• 1956 BSA C12, 1970 Honda SL 350 Cafe Racer
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 12:33:47 AM »
Hi, I know it's a while since anyone posted a reply to this thread but as I am planning to do the same modification I thought I might post this picture I came across.
Emu,
Central North Victoria,
Australia

Offline fgt999

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 06:26:54 AM »
Hi all
Has anyone finished their restoration with single seat?

can anyone recommend a place to buy the springs and seat and how short do the springs need to be and add some photos that illustrate the mounting bracket?

cheers

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 09:21:30 AM »
I'm pretty sure Draganfly have them in stock, Mr fgt, and also NSA in Worlingham, near Beccles. I think they're about forty quid odd and probably made in India. The springs just mount directly onto the lugs on the frame.

Cheers, Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Offline richie1958

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 01:25:02 PM »
I have a single seat on my Big 4 Norton, which for 1954 came standard with a dual seat. A single saddle was an optional extra. Gawd knows what the ride was like with an un-sprung saddle and a rigid frame! Anyway, because I use the bike all the time, I have got through several new covers, which I fit to one of these Indian made frames. As soon as I first fitted the saddle to the bike, I discovered a problem with the saddle frame. They have a curved bit of angle iron, that forms the curved profile of the rear of the seat. On these Indian made saddles, the holes for the tension springs are drilled to low down in the angle iron, which means the edge of it digs into my a*se.
I got hold of some half inch thick felt, cut out a piece the same shape as the saddle cover, tapered it down where it goes down the sides of the saddle and sandwiched it between the tension springs and the saddle cover. This makes a much more comfortable saddle; it's warmer in the winter and it takes a lot of the stress out of the cover, which had a tendency to split where it was strained over the angle iron.
                                                                  Richie