$context['previous_next'] = $modSettings['enablePreviousNext'] ? '' . $txt['previous_next_back'] . ' ' . $txt['previous_next_forward'] . '' : ''; Clutch pushrod length

Author Topic: Clutch pushrod length  (Read 814 times)

Offline AdminPete

• Administrator
Clutch pushrod length
« on: November 29, 2008, 01:20:49 PM »
Hi all
Can anyone tell me the exact length of the C12 clutch push rod?
My one has "belled in" on the ball bearings a tad and I note my adjuster on the gearbox seems to be running out.
Any sure fire way of "hardening the ends too would be a great help!

Thanks

Richard (bsac12ver)

First  Previous  2-9 of 9  Next  Last  Delete Replies   

Recommend  Delete    Message 2 of 9 in Discussion   

Here I go again I can see me getting banned from this site length of push rod in IMPERIAL ten & one eighth of inch. However I purchased arod of Silver silver steel cut it in hlah alowing for acorrect size ball bearing cut some more off I believe it was a three sixteenths ball Hardened all 4 ends . Result one perfect operation light clutch. It's OK Pete I shall be missing next week >

Recommend  Delete    Message 3 of 9 in Discussion   

Thanks Woodie
Forgot to mention I am still on the corks? would this make a difference to the length ? (i notice the new plates don't seem to have as much meat on them)

Recommend  Delete    Message 4 of 9 in Discussion   

Going back about 3 months when somebody sent me some old Corked plates I measured them & found They were still thicker than new modern type even though they were worn. The only way I cured my clutch slip after replacing everything I mean that the number of times I stripped it down!!!!!!!!! I fitted not one thick plain plate and one thinner but 2 thick ones Problem solved loverly clutch and operation. If you want a new clutch try & get the old Corkies re corked it would be worth it. The new ones are not upto it the rod was fitted years before all this with correct adjustment I don't think you will have any trouble Know All Woodie   

Recommend  Delete    Message 5 of 9 in Discussion   

You wont be so much missing next week sergent, more missed! I'm sure I'm not alone in saying how much I enjoy your ramblings. It's what keeps this site alive. Keep up the good work.
Pete

Recommend  Delete    Message 6 of 9 in Discussion   

Have had similar clutch problems with my 56 C12.Cured by fitting an extra drive and driven plate.No problems so far.No real difference to clutch lever action.Back on the road again.

Recommend  Delete    Message 7 of 9 in Discussion   

Richard, you asked how to harden and temper your pushrod. Useing silver steele, cut to length with a hacksaw, play the end of the rod in the blue part of the flame of your blowlamp till red, then quench in water. Clean the end to bright with emery, play the end in the tip of flame it will start to go yellow, alow it to go dark yellow but not brown and quench immediatly in cold water.If you go to far at the yellowing stage, just start all over again. Ron   

Recommend  Delete    Message 8 of 9 in Discussion   

Sorry I did'nt notice you asked about hardening silver steel rod I mentioned it . Please don't quench it water it will make the steel brittle, Quench it in oil smells a bit but will hardened the tips. Woodie

Recommend  Delete    Message 9 of 9 in Discussion   

Please let me explane. silver steel rod must be quenched in WATER. Oil which should be proper quenching oil, which non of us have at home, is for guage steel.If  in doubt, check at you local precision engineers. Ron