Author Topic: oil seal holders  (Read 812 times)

Offline AdminPete

• Administrator
oil seal holders
« on: November 29, 2008, 03:20:10 PM »
Please help, no matter how i try the six seals i have brought will not go into the oil seal holders on the front forks, i now have damage  4 seals so far, any of you good buddies got any idears , welcome back woodie. 

First  Previous  2-4 of 4  Next  Last  Delete Replies   

Recommend  Delete    Message 2 of 4 in Discussion   

Shouldn't be a problem if you definately have the right seals. I used a piece of nylon turned down to just under outer diameter of seals. Make sure seal seat is clean, smear seat and seal with oil, and tapped in. Be very carefull to keep square by tapping  around edge of drift as necessary. So that the fork shroud/housing doesn't move while doing this, I slid the shroud over another piece of nylon (wood would be ok) , held firmly in vice. I think you should check you have the right size seals, because they shouldn't be all that tight. Hope you get it sorted.
Graham

Recommend  Delete    Message 3 of 4 in Discussion   

Hello Rusty nuts
I can't offer much help other than agreeing with Graham that they should not be that hard to fit, Yesterday I went in the shed and took the old seal out of the old holder I had lying around and it was not that much of a job (squirted WD 40 all over it and out it came)

I think you will find C&D Autos provide them with the seals already in place when buying the chrome holders (I ordered them about 3 years ago as C12 seal holders with seals, ask when you phone if they are already fitted )

cheers!

Richard

Recommend  Delete    Message 4 of 4 in Discussion   

Hi,
just had a simular problem on some new oil seal holders for me C11, found out there was a lip where the thread fininished and the seal mating face started. Just smoothed it out and tried with some old Halls seals no luck so got some new seals from Britbits and they poped in quite easily.( they had a ribbed rubber outer edge)(no wise cracks intended).

if you wanted to make up a drift the actual seal outer diameter is 1.831" (46.53mm) so just take a nats off the diameter on a lump of hard plastic or brass and tap them in.

C10Stiles