Author Topic: More Transfers  (Read 583 times)

Offline 79Bonnie

More Transfers
« on: August 06, 2011, 09:46:46 PM »
Learned Gentlemen, I have read the two recent posts regarding transfers and these have answered my questions but.. to confirm; the 250  transfer goes directly underneath the the plain rifles which is on the tail light / no`plate bracket ( on the horizontal back to the rear guard ) Correct??  We have lucked upon a NOS set, still in the original pale blue envelope, labelled "Transfers set No 101/T  C10-11 1946 to 1951"  So here`s hoping they are`nt too old. I have had trouble with old water sliders breaking in the past. :D ??? ???

sunbeam590

Re: More Transfers
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 01:56:11 AM »
Yes thats right, but make sure whether a water slide or dry rub type of transfer, i reckon the 2 I got were old and dryed out..
Good Luck, Kevin.

Offline 79Bonnie

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 04:15:19 PM »
Kevin, Thanks for that.Will give it a go and post results :D

Offline C101112

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 04:46:32 PM »

Old transfers were "varnish transfers", not water slides".

See application instructions :

http://www.domiracer.com/decal_instructions.html
Northern France, 100 miles from London, as the crow (or the swallow, or any bird) flies.

Online isleofmanpaul

• Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 07:41:05 PM »
Thanks for the info C101112, I now have no excuses for not fixing a 'varnish transfer'. Sorry that sounds as if I'm p****d off ...I was ignorant and have learned . ;D

Offline richie1958

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 09:05:56 PM »
Vincent decals were gold size transfers; which I guess were probably the same as varnish transfers. I never attempted affixing them myself. As I was getting a sign writer to apply the gold leaf lines with gold size, he did the transfers too.
                                                                                                                                                     Richie

Offline 79Bonnie

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 09:33:21 AM »
So.... when you say varnish ( or gold size ) is this plain old paint shop goods or something special, alternatively can I use a modern 2 pack clear coat?? :-[

Online isleofmanpaul

• Bronze Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 10:39:50 AM »
Ritchie, pleased to know I'm not alone, didn't like to mention that I have some allegedly origional Vincent transfers and was procrastinating . I'm aware that Vincent/Goldie owners have a somewhat "up themselves reputation", with good reason, but I'm doing my best to bring them down to my level ! ;D

Offline richie1958

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 01:11:37 PM »
I think it's plain old paint shop stuff 79Bonnie. I'm pretty certain gold size is oil based like household paint. I'd had the tank stove enamelled before I passed it on to a sign writer; so It was done the old fashioned way, with varnish just over the transfers and gold leaf lines - Not a complete coat over the whole tank.
                                                        Richie

Offline 79Bonnie

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 08:55:15 AM »
Ritchie,   Thanks for the advice, Ill pass that on to the painter, he too is new to varnish type transfers so a little test piece may be in order.  Have managed to purchase a toolbox at $95 NZ Dollars quite reasonable I thought, and am happy to be able to fix all the transfers at the same time. Wont be long now! ;D

Offline richie1958

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 10:17:37 AM »
A possible alternative to varnish type transfers is to look at the VMCC transfer web site and see if they do appropriate water slide jobbies.   http://www.vmcc.net/transfers.htm
These will be modern reproductions, so there will be no chance that they've gone off over the last half century!

Richie

Offline 79Bonnie

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 10:46:21 AM »
Richie,     Agreed, I have used the transfer scheme before for my Norton but as we have the genuine article I am keen to give it a go, also I cant help but think it may have more of a period look ? Should things turn to custard however that will be the next port of call.