Author Topic: Footrest assembly  (Read 767 times)

Offline 79Bonnie

Footrest assembly
« on: December 31, 2011, 03:14:13 AM »
This should possibly have been posted in tech. If so , sorry Pete, however Can anybody confirm minor details of the footrest assm. ( 47 C10 )
The pile of bits is dwindling fast and I suspect I`m missing a spacer. The gearchange side seems straightforward, the longer of the two footrests with the long spacer behind ?. So presumably the short footrest hangs off the drive side. I have a pipe spacer that fits well between the engine plate and inner primary cover.. so... is there another spacer between the primary covers ? and does the footrest press up against the outer primary ? if so there must be a fibre washer or something to protect the paint ?
 And one last question, location of the horn on a rigid 47 C10 ?
  :-\

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
Re: Footrest assembly
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 09:07:34 AM »
These queries are usually covered in the Technical section, Mr B, so if you look in there, back 8 pages to July 23rd '11, you'll find the answers.

However, I found that the sizes didn't quite suit my old clunker so I'll look up the sizes I finished up using and you'll have to 'suck it and see!'

On the left hand rod there's the 2" spacer between the engine plates, then a short spacer and a big flat washer up against the back of the chain case inner, then a thick cork washer on the inside, a spacer with flared ends to push against the cork, with a slightly longer spacer inside the wide spacer to locate it centrally, and another cork washer on the inside of the outer casing. On the outside there's another big, flat washer to spread the load up against the casing, a short spacer, a brake pedal stop plate, the footrest, washers and nut.

I'm sure Draganfly's website will have helpful pictures, part numbers and prices and they'll probably have the parts too.

Cheers, Ray with a 71Bonnie
Just a motorcyclist.

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 09:15:44 AM »
Sorry, forgot about the horn. On my '40 bike it's fitted on the left hand side, just behind the battery, and it's most likely they were still nailing them on in the same place just after the war. No doubt someone else can confirm.

Back to the footrest spacers, my bike also had bits of conduit pipe as spacers and these hadn't really done the chaincase any great favours because of their loose fit and lack of centralising. Proper sized jobbies can be nipped up better to hold the footrests nice and tight.

Cheers, Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Offline 79Bonnie

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 11:33:57 PM »
Ray,  Many thanks, I didnt give any thought to cork seals and it would appear I am missing more than just a spacer. Will check out the draganfly site as you recommend.

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 08:33:32 AM »
What you really need, Mr B, is the tailor-made spacers and cork seals that go inside the primary case. The outside spacers are just bits of thick-wall steel tube, 1/2" ID and about 3/4" OD, that fill the gaps so the footrest can be held tight without distorting things. There's also the two big, flat washers, an inch and three sixteenths OD, half inch ID and 3/32" thick, that go outside and up against the chain case sides to spread the load of the cork seals on the inside.

I'll look up my spacer measurements later today and bung them on here.

Cheers, Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 01:54:33 PM »
My original C11G spacers, which should be the same as your C10 but parts numbers will confirm, are as follows:

Spacer from engine plate to chain case inner : 61/64" long, plus 3/32" flat washer

Flared spacer inside chain case : One inch & 21/64" long + cork seal each side

Inner spacer that slides inside the above (1/2" ID) : One and a half inches long

Another 3/32" thick x an inch and three sixteenths OD x 1/2" ID Washer against outside of outer chaincase

Then the short spacer, foot brake pedal stop plate, L/H footrest, spring washer and nut.

My 1940 bike has similar part numbers but turned out to be different because the clutch is wider and the cases have a spacer against the crank case, - all very confusing at the time!

Cheers, Ray

Just a motorcyclist.

Offline 79Bonnie

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 08:09:07 PM »
Ray, again many thanks for your advice. I spent some time browsing the Draganfly site and pouring over images of C10`s on the net. As you say, I need the fancy spacer inside the chaincases. The heavy walled spacers are easily cut as are the washers but will order in the seals and spacer. I did consider running with a large OD made - up spacer and keeping the primary dry ( with liberal amounts of chain lube ) as is the case with my pre - war Norton & AJ but figure we have come this far and the oil bath would probably give longer chain life.
As for the Horn, it would seem the LHS seat spring bolt is the place to go, however the terminals do look rather close to the rear tyre. Most pictures show them there.
Again, thanks for your time spent, will jot down the dimensions and head for the steel rack.         Regards, (another)  Pete. ;)

Offline Brooklands

• Bronze Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 09:08:48 PM »
Pete,if you are looking at making up a large diameter spacer in the primary case, you could groove & 'O' ring it at both ends. I did this with my C11 and run oil in the case no signs of leakage (yet!  ;D).
Joe
Norfolk 'n good!

Offline rogerwilko

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 08:32:08 PM »
Never ceases to amaze me when they mention 1/64th measurements, what a joke!

Offline Brooklands

• Bronze Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 10:25:12 PM »
Now hold you hard ! That'd be .04mm to furriners, and 64 of those is worth about an inch here Norfolk, and blarst, possibly even more elsewhere bor.
Joe
Norfolk 'n good!

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 09:59:23 AM »
I, too, quite like sixty fourths! They had to adjust for paint on the chaincase and the gasket on the crankcase somehow, otherwise the primary chaincase would twist a bit and this might possibly cause an oil leak!

Cheers, Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Offline rogerwilko

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 12:41:19 AM »
A couple of pieces of waterpipe and four wide washers will do the trick for spacers!

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 08:38:38 AM »
I wonder why BSA didn't think of that!

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Offline richie1958

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 08:56:02 AM »
I will refrain from getting on my imperial versus metric orange box rogerwilko, but having served an engineering apprenticeship at a time when both systems were in regular use, and taught to flip from one system to the other without even a head scratch, I can say that the imperial system is more accesible and easier to use, once you can convert fractions to decimals without even thinking; and doing it all the time, you learn them all off by heart.
If you ask an old person how long is six inches, they'll hold their hands apart at a reasonably accurate six inches. But if you ask a young person  how long is a hundred and fifty millimeters, they usually have no idea!
I'll shut up now  ;D
                          Richie

Offline Brooklands

• Bronze Member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 04:44:44 PM »
Richie, I had a lad who worked for me who was metrically educated and he used to use the term 'half a foot', which used to annoy me, but then there is half a yard, mile etc..so maybe its me being inconsistent with me fractions, not him!  ::). Most youngsters don't get 0.5 cut at weekends either....
Joe
Norfolk 'n good!