$context['previous_next'] = $modSettings['enablePreviousNext'] ? '' . $txt['previous_next_back'] . ' ' . $txt['previous_next_forward'] . '' : ''; 1949 C11 project

Author Topic: 1949 C11 project  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Adam_R

1949 C11 project
« on: December 29, 2012, 05:55:36 PM »
Hi Guys
not posted in a wee while but have been buying parts and reading through past posts on the forum, in order to prepare me for the rebuild.

I thought it about time i put a project thread up to keep track of my progress.
so here she is:

A 1949 Rigid C11 with the 3 Speed box.
a good search using the engine and frame numbers and the Australian BSA owners, Confirms the bike to be made in 1948 and Registered in Meath in Ireland.
a trip to my local DVLA office confirms that i cannot keep the original number (although i should have figured with an "I" in the number i couldnt keep it)

before the strip down i was adamant that the bike must be running in order to cycle through the gears  to confirm that everything worked prior to removal/restoration.

old oil removed  and fresh put in, new fuel ect
cue my first problem.

as it was my old man was more keen than myself to get her running  and was kicking her over like mad and locked the box solid.
removal of the primary cover and removal of the chain confirmed that the engine was not seized but the box was still locked.
i had a good search on the forum and found what seems to be the kickstart problem of teeth locking together.
i set to it and with the box remaining in situ stripped down untill i found the problem. fixed and the box reasembled, darkness had come in and  we stopped for the night.

in the meantime a new carb body had arrived (thanks to MilitaryRon) and the carb rebuilt into it.
a few days later and we had her running albeit very rough and not selecting gears, the blame went to me for not assembling the selector mech properly.
blame was soon diverted as i got on and selected all gears easily.

now for the stripdown!
with  the major components working it was time to tear her down.

100's of bags were aquired  a marker pen and a camera.
ive put every single small part it a bag labbeled and boxed away ready for processing.

the bare frame components

are now awaiting blasting.

I just need to finished building the new blast cabinet and things will progress further....

Thanks for looking
Adam

Offline Adam_R

Re: 1949 C11 project
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 09:22:17 PM »
Just a wee update,
i've not done very much since my last post,
i have however built the blast cabinet and blasted the frame.
as it stands the frame is sitting in high build primer waiting for me to get round to painting it.
in the meantime i've sourced some stainless bolts and a few other odds and sods
tonight i decided to tackle the tank, i was reluctant to blast it incase i got sand in the inside so have hand sanded it and have given it a quick coat of primer,
in the background of the picture you can see my other long term project,
its a 1979 mini.
And for those of you interested its had,
new front panel, inner/outer sills, door steps, a panel, floor pan, and various repairs including the a hole in the roof.
like most things its got a bit out of hand but the basic specs are to be:
10x7 split rims
miglia arches
carbon boot floor and boot lid
fibreglass bonnet
im planning a twincam 16v turbo engine using a BMW K1100 cylinder head

thats all for now
thanks for looking
Adam

Online camman3

• Gold Member
  • The more I know, the less I understand......in UK
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 01:57:26 PM »
Two all consuming projects you have on the go there Adam :D
The c11 will be a piece of cake compared to your plans for the mini, I'm intriuged with your plans to use a K1100 head.
Good luck
Graham
1957 C12
In sunny (sometimes) Christchurch, Dorset, UK

Offline Adam_R

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 10:58:40 PM »
thought i best update this,

Frame has been painted as has the tank and most other parts,
Painting was a steep learning curve that I'm only just getting the hang of, but the recent turn of weather has stopped any of that.

I've been collecting parts and gathering more information, I've recently bought a NOS kickstart ratchet pinion for the 3 Speed Box, so hope to get that fitted over the winter.
While on the subject of boxes, is there a rebuild guide as to how worn is too worn?
it will be my first venture into a gearbox and I would like to be clued up on the workings before i proceed.

its my aim to freshen up the engine too this winter, but will have to see how time pans out.

as for the mini, the engine plans have been scrapped and I've become more bike orientated.
however I've now got a Panther m100 and Triumph T100ss to add to the mix.

no pictures this time, but will have plenty on the next update

Online hampshirebiker

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 08:19:09 AM »
Good lad and good luck with all the projects. Can you put a bit of your enthusiasm in an envelope & post it to me (send a PM for address  ;D).
AS Tony Hancock said - "Good engineers the Scots; it's the porridge you know".
Postal - Liphook Hants - But just into West Sussex.

Offline Adam_R

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 11:39:53 PM »
Good lad and good luck with all the projects. Can you put a bit of your enthusiasm in an envelope & post it to me (send a PM for address  ;D).
AS Tony Hancock said - "Good engineers the Scots; it's the porridge you know".

Theres certainly something in the water, or more likely the irn bru.
The enthusiasm comes and goes, working to a budget has its downsides but it is mainly time i need.
the panther needs its Gearbox sorted (it jumps out of 4th and is a pig to select anything other than 1st)
it also needs paint,

the Triumph has an oil burning issue i can't seem to solve but runs spot on!

Not content with just the bike and mini requiring some love, I've decided to start welding my old mans Rover P4.....

Offline Adam_R

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 12:48:12 AM »
pictures update
frame parts in high build

main stand

tool box

Mudguards were a bit worse for wear after blasting =[

Had to make a new number plate holder

Spent A lot of time on the tank, there wasn't any major dents but the surface finish wasn't the best!
stripped and etched

painted

thats pretty much where I'm at,  now got my hands full with another Triumph.......

Online camman3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 12:38:03 PM »
Well well, you have been a busy fella Adam :)....its true to say, the more you do, the more you find to do ??? I presume with the Triumph on the go (what model?), the mini is on the back burner?
I am still intriqued with your plan to fit a K1100 cylinder head to the mini....could be another whole topic in general discussion  :-\
When in my late twenties I had a very dull looking mini panel van, which I turned into a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing with various mods, used to raise a few eyebrows on occasion.
Lookin foward to seeing the completed C
Graham
1957 C12

Offline Adam_R

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 10:36:47 PM »
Today i sorted the rear mudguard out (see other post)  and now they are fitting together much much better, i have however seem to have mislaid my bridging bracket =[

the mini has indeed been put on the back burner for now, although I'm not entirely sure its ever gotten off it in the first place. saying that it has since been painted and is now a rolling shell.

Engine plans are most definitely not going ahead.
but seeing as your interested, it involves modifying the A series block in order to fit the BMW K1100 head thus giving you twin cam 16v, fantastic power improvements, i know of cars over 250bhp.

here is one of the troublesome Triumphs

its a 1966 T100ss with an oil burning issue from the left hand pot only???

the Panther

Gearbox is on the bench awaiting a rebuild

also bought a Kawasaki Kh250

Car behind is my old mans 1932 vauxhall cadet,   its not running right at the moment (carb problems) we hope to fit an SU carb to try to help.

last but not least is the very recent purchase Garage stored for 20 odd years

Bonneville T120V oif
previous owner had it over 30 years
rode it to Portugal where it threw a rod out the crankcase, rebuilt with a morgo big bore kit, morgo rods etc
and never on the road since...

felt bad washing the dust off =[

Offline Adam_R

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 09:16:38 PM »
so things have finally progressed,
i broke the Tiger 100 and its awaiting an engine rebuild, the panther gearbox is fixed and the kawasaki and triumph have both gone.

i have however bought a Norton.

Meanwhile, I've re acquired my enthusiasm and hope to have the BSA on the road for the summer.
so far I've rebuilt the forks and built the frame up.

i had originally decided to paint my original wheels but have since changed my mind and will be placing an order for some new rims and spokes.
any recommendations?

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 07:32:46 AM »
Many previous discussions on this, Adam, so you need to use the Search thingy.

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Online camman3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 10:10:32 AM »
http://bsac10c11c12.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3048.msg16177#msg16177
A long way from you, but Brickwoods are well reccomended down South.
Depends whether you are going to build them yourself?
Your posts are well spaced Adam :D
Graham
1957 C12

Offline Adam_R

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 06:44:43 PM »
Thanks Ray, I've had a good dig about and found the info i need, I've also had a couple of quotes from various companies and they are all roughly the same.

http://bsac10c11c12.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3048.msg16177#msg16177
Depends whether you are going to build them yourself?
Your posts are well spaced Adam :D
Graham

Ive thought about building them myself, i need to do a fair bit more reading first to make sure this is the route to go down.
I've done everything else myself so wheel building could well be another diy job.

i see what you mean about being well spaced, i really do need to get my finger out and get things finished.

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 07:20:34 AM »
I suppose you've checked in the Technical Tips section of this site, Adam, - I posted an article on wheel building in there a while ago. It's titled 'Wheel Building', surprisingly enough, and is in three parts to cover making the simple jig and up to trueing up the shiny new wheel.

It's very straightforward and takes about as long as parceling up and posting a wheel off for rebuilding!

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Offline Adam_R

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 08:31:12 PM »
I suppose you've checked in the Technical Tips section of this site, Adam, - I posted an article on wheel building in there a while ago. It's titled 'Wheel Building', surprisingly enough, and is in three parts to cover making the simple jig and up to trueing up the shiny new wheel.

It's very straightforward and takes about as long as parceling up and posting a wheel off for rebuilding!

Ray

i have indeed read your posts and found them most helpful, I've also read the section in the vintage motorcycle restoration book.
The prices of wheels seem to be all over the place, but Central wheel components seem to be good and from what i gather its where a lot of the smaller suppliers buy from.
i had phoned devon rims but they were the most expensive and seemed to be the least helpful.
theres somebody localist that will build them but i fancy a crack at it myself, after all I've done everything else myself.