$context['previous_next'] = $modSettings['enablePreviousNext'] ? '' . $txt['previous_next_back'] . ' ' . $txt['previous_next_forward'] . '' : ''; 1948 C11 footrests

Author Topic: 1948 C11 footrests  (Read 445 times)

Offline 5$trungout

1948 C11 footrests
« on: December 30, 2013, 03:13:41 PM »
Hi
I have a 1948 C11 (3 speed) which appears to have been assembled from a mixture of model parts.  I will have more questions as the restoration develops, but my first one is; do the riders footrests sit on a common hex bar or are there two separate bars each connecting to the engine plates.  The information available appears to be confusing/contradictory between 3 and 4 speed, rigid/sprung models.
Many thanks

Online camman3

• Gold Member
  • The more I know, the less I understand......in UK
Re: 1948 C11 footrests
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 05:34:39 PM »
Hi Strungout, and welcome.
Wait for confirmation from those wiser than me, but I think your bike should be one piece hexagon bar with a collection of spacers. If you do a search of this site I think you will find a post not to long ago, that list the dimensions of spacers.
Have you got any pictures you can post?
Graham
1957 C12
In sunny (sometimes) Christchurch, Dorset, UK

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 05:37:01 PM »
All the Cs have similar footrest mountings, Mr 5, being a separate hexagon bar for each side. These bars are threaded on the ends so have nuts holding them to each engine plate, various length spacers and a nut holding the footrest at the outer end.

There have been many previous postings on these spacers, the critical ones being inside the primary chaincase to prevent it being distorted out of shape.

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Offline 5$trungout

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 05:59:19 PM »
Thanks for the prompt replies.  The problem I have is that it has separate hex bars with spacers fitted, but someone has filed the hole in the outer chain case to make them fit and the illustrated view on Draganflys site shows a solid bar for 3 speed models and separates for a 4 speed one. My illustrated spares list covers '54 0n models and shows an alternator chaincase which is not on my bike so you can see the confusion it is causing

Offline Rifleman

• Buxton, Peak District
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 07:11:02 PM »
5$trungout - have you looked at the exploded diagrams and parts lists in the section on this forum titled 'Service Sheets & Parts Lists'? Although they don't give measurements for the spacers, they might help to identify which bits you have. Go to the sub-section called 'Frame & Forks Parts Lists', and look at the first two .pdf files.

HTH,

Jack

Offline 5$trungout

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 07:22:08 PM »
Thanks for that, but I can't understand why the outer chaincase was filed to make the footrest fit.  I will take more notice when re assembling. One more question: what stops the hex bar rotating is it just the friction of the nut holding it to the engine plates?

Online Owen

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Solutions not problems
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 07:11:23 AM »
The engine plates have hex holes in for the hex foot rest bar so it won't rotate.
1945 C10 & C11
1953 C10
1953 C11 x 2
Still looking for an Original 350 side valve C12

Offline triumphtr7v

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 09:40:33 PM »
Hi, all I can say is I have a 1949 rigid C11 with a three speed box and I have two separate hex bars. Is it possible the hole int he outer chaincase was filled because it was damaged? As I remeber (without going out the garage!) the hole in the outer case is also supposed to be hex shaped as well.

Online Owen

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Solutions not problems
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 07:44:04 AM »
All the primary casings I have seen have a round hole for the foot rest bar? Only the engine/gearbox plates are hex?
1945 C10 & C11
1953 C10
1953 C11 x 2
Still looking for an Original 350 side valve C12

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 08:41:07 AM »
Yes, the primary case has a round hole for the hex bar and is clamped up to the inner and rear round spacers on both halves of the case. There are large flat steel washers up against the tinware and the casing holes are sealed by cork washers that are, in turn, squeezed up to the larger round spacer inside the case. This tubular spacer is a little shorter than the one inside it that's being clamped by the hex rod and nuts so the cork washers are only squeezed just enough.

It's not rocket science to get it all bolted up nicely but you often have to go back to basics. This is because that hopeless previous owner has used a mish-mash of washers and bits of galvenised gas pipe, often cut at a strange angle, to hold the plot together.

It can all be seen in the parts diagrams and it's important to get the lengths of the various spacers correct.

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Online MilitaryRon

• Silver Member
  • Branksome, in Poole, Dorset UK
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 08:42:45 AM »
The chain case would not add any support to the hex bar, and would soon distort with flexing. Usually both cases have a clearance hole with support tubes to stop them crushing.  Ron

PS typing together Ray!

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 08:04:12 AM »
I wondered whose hand was getting in the way on my keyboard!

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.