Author Topic: 7" brake on C11?  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Brooklands

• Bronze Member
Re: 7" brake on C11?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 07:46:21 PM »
Hi Paul,
Maybe too radical for some folk, but looking at my half-width hub it would appear that, with some relatively straightforward engineering, there is room to fit a pair of standard half-width drums back to back - this would retain all of the standard bearing/spindle set-up. A bit of work would be needed on the left fork leg for a brake lug  and cable stop, unless you have a spare right fork leg that you can turn around, and the change would increase front brake area by 100%. If you wanted to go to town you could link the additional drum by cable to the foot brake, leaving just one drum to be operated by the hand lever.
Not quite a Black Shadow set-up, but it is only a 'C' after all.
Cheers
Joe
Norfolk 'n good!

Online hampshirebiker

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 07:58:46 PM »
You could probably get another brake fork leg & turn it round. Or am I being daft?
Postal - Liphook Hants - But just into West Sussex.

Online chaterlea25

• Silver Member
  • nr Cork Rep of Ireland
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 08:28:57 PM »
Hi All,
If I was to add a second brake the easiest way would be to add torque arms from the mudguard mounting lug on the forlk legs as is done on the BSA 8in. brake
That said the 7in on my Ariel HT5 works great  8)

Has Paule gone to ground on this topic ??

John

Offline Paule

• Meggen, Switzerland
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 05:32:12 PM »
Hi John, Joe and all,

Joe, fascinating idea! But i tend to use the parts i have. As i don't live in UK it's not easy (or expensive to get hold of heavier parts).
John, not at all going to ground, had and still have lots of work to get done!

Back to topic, spent some time with dismantling, measuring, thinking... and drawing again, please see below.
What i'm planning to do:
- shorten sleeve RH side 6.35 mm
- shorten sleeve LH side 9.0 mm
- mill down LH spindle nut from 8.02 to 6.00 mm
After that, the hub should fit between the legs with about 2.5 mm sideways play.
Received the spindle off ebay today, thanks for pointing me there! The threads are a bit "gone", but i'll have to adapt the part anyway.

Cheers,
Paul

Online chaterlea25

• Silver Member
  • nr Cork Rep of Ireland
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 12:52:24 PM »
Hi Paule,

::)  :-[ I thought you had a threaded fork leg??
Which is why I pointed you to the stepped spindle

Anyway I admire your ability to produce good drawings,
Mostly I can work from mental images or some scribbles on a piece of paper  ::)

Cheers
John

Online Owen

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Solutions not problems
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 01:02:00 PM »
Which CAD program do you use. I Dabble or is that Dribble a little in Autocad?
1940 C12 (350cc)
1945 C10 & C11
1953 C10 & C11

Offline Paule

• Meggen, Switzerland
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 05:06:22 PM »
Hi John, realised too, that i got the wrong spindle, but no prob. It's bigger in all dimensions so i'll get a good british steel one out of it  :D

I often just work with sketches, but if it gets more complicated, a CAD drawing is just superior!! It takes time to get there, but measuring afterwards is a question of seconds!

Owen, i use VectorWorks >>> http://www.buycad.co.uk/
Have never worked with Autocad so far. Got into VectorWorks because it was cheaper at the time i started.
I'm an architect, have a one man office, mostly working on older houses. It was interesting a while ago, reading about the sheds being built in UK by our forum members.

Regards, Paul

Offline Paule

• Meggen, Switzerland
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 05:29:15 PM »
Hi to all, below, you'll find the latest drawing of the B31 hub mounted between the two C11 fork legs. And two pics of the hub internals in their place. Next job is moving the brake notch a little bit and build the wheel around the hub.
Cheers,
Paul

PS: WANTED: Used C12 sprockets, to modify them from 19T to 17T. In exchange i'm happy to send some excellent Swiss chocolates to you!! Or a nice Victorinox pocket knife!!!

Offline BillyF

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 09:21:35 AM »
hi paule
i've fitted a b31? front hub to 2 c11s
on the brake drum side i machined the end of the sleeve to flush with end of the thread.
on the opposite end i made up a thinner sleeve to go through the fork leg and take the 11/16" b31 spindle.
on the brake drum fork leg i threaded it 1/2" cycle thread and counter bored it about a 1/2" to take the b31 spindle.
i turned the end of the spindle and threaded it 1/2" and shortened it till the shoulder nearly bottoms out in fork leg.
when all is fitted i space up the clearance with a washer on the brake drum side.
make up and reposition the little stub on the brake back plate to locate it to the fork leg.
i machined out and threaded a 7/16" nut for a lock nut.
i hope this makes sense.
cheers bill - should be a couple of photos

Offline Paule

• Meggen, Switzerland
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2016, 07:52:55 PM »
Hi Bill, thanks for your description and photos, looking great!! The idea of a lock nut is very good, i didn't think of that as the original layout has none. Your twin leading break will be the best one, i'm sure. When you've finished, i'd be glad to see a photo of how the lever-connection goes past the fork leg??   
Looking forward to read about your racer news... most interesting,  i admire your capabilities!!
Paul

Offline BillyF

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2016, 09:24:03 AM »
hi paul
here's a couple of photos of the front brake it has still to be tidied up and made nice.
i have made the shoes floating and not secured to a fulcrum, which i think will give a more uniform wear and quicker bedding in - the action certainly feels good
cheers bill
i have been doing a lot of messing with my racer engine - i'll have to add it to my post

Offline Paule

• Meggen, Switzerland
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2016, 10:24:07 AM »
Hi Bill, well done!! You can start a contest "Best braking C11"  :)
I'm wondering, whether the connection levers would be more stiff, if bent in a flatter angle to get past the cable actuated one?
You certainly don't HAVE to post about your racer, but i bet there's so many reading your posts with great interest!!
Cheers, Paul

Offline BillyF

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2016, 11:40:32 AM »
hi paul
i think the brackets will be well strong enough they are 4mm thick.
my thinking was to keep the link rod as close to the back plate as possible to cut the bending couple on the shafts to a minimum. but i think the cable would give up first
cheers bill

Offline Paule

• Meggen, Switzerland
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2016, 04:44:53 PM »
Hi Bill, fully agree about the cable being the weak spot. Brake linings, are you going to adapt the genuine 65-5901-ones? Or did you find other linings to do the job?    Paul

Online cornish pixie

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2016, 06:16:26 PM »
Evening all

I will be interested to see how your brake performs, I have converted my c11 type brake on my ariel colt in a similar way to yours. Mine however is very spongy with lots of travel and my brake backplate flexes by 1-2mm when pulling the lever hard.
Regards Martin 
here in sunny cornwall