$context['previous_next'] = $modSettings['enablePreviousNext'] ? '' . $txt['previous_next_back'] . ' ' . $txt['previous_next_forward'] . '' : ''; Alternator Housing.

Author Topic: Alternator Housing.  (Read 254 times)

Offline griff

Alternator Housing.
« on: December 28, 2015, 08:18:47 PM »
How essential is the housing that goes round the alternator ? I have not got one for my C12  (original one damaged) and was wondering just how essential this part is. I have made new studs for the trials bike and the body is too thick to go through an alloy housing (if I buy another) as the shoulders hold the plate in place. It works OK on my trials bike without a  housing as I have an electronic plate and run the primary side 'dry' , lubricating the chain every other trials event or 250 miles. TheC12 road bike is possibly going to be left 'dry' and a simular lubrication system used .  Thanks..Griff
Ride safely and no pinchmarks on the seat.
 Feet-up, only on trials sections...

Offline griff

Re: Alternator Housing.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 07:26:08 AM »
 After having a word with an ex. BSA employee I was informed that you can run without the alloy housing, though it is prefered to have one, but not without the oil as running it 'dry' very quickly ruins the clutch bearings as the chain in the oil leaves deposits on the clutch bearing. Also the primary chain very quickly gets hot and no oil causes rapid wear and it soon breaks... Griff
Ride safely and no pinchmarks on the seat.
 Feet-up, only on trials sections...

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 09:04:02 AM »
If the alternator can be mounted nicely without the housing then it will be fine, Griff. As I understand things, the main purpose of the alloy mounting was to suppress the alternator to help prevent interference with other outside electrical stuff such as radios and the like. When BSA changed to alloy primary cases the alloy shield was no longer necessary.

As far as the oil situation, the advice is all ok as far as theory goes. However, for practical purposes, the fully enclosed chain suffers from no premature wear with just the occasional squirt of oil or aerosol grease and I have never suffered clutch bearing wear with no oil in the case, even over high mileages and lengthy periods. I just pack grease round the balls or rollers and it does the job.

I can't see it's much different to a wheel bearing or clutch thrust bearing in a car. I think it's debatable how much oil actually finds its way up into the clutch centre bearing with everything spinning it outwards. Also, as far as I know, it's the debris from the friction plates that fouls things up and not the primary chain. You can always run an O ring chain if you're going to do a huge mileage.

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Online camman3

• Gold Member
  • The more I know, the less I understand......in UK
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 03:07:39 PM »
When you think about it, the clutch centre bearing gets very little wear, as it only rotates when clutch is disengaged.
Like Ray, I just use a little grease on bearing, and spray the chain about the same frequency as rear chain.
Graham
1957 C12
In sunny (sometimes) Christchurch, Dorset, UK