$context['previous_next'] = $modSettings['enablePreviousNext'] ? '' . $txt['previous_next_back'] . ' ' . $txt['previous_next_forward'] . '' : ''; Welding

Author Topic: Welding  (Read 1106 times)

Online Owen

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Solutions not problems
Re: Welding
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2016, 08:10:29 PM »
Well I finally got to use the flux welding wire on my Mig to repair the headlight shell holes. I made up some nice discs for the holes. However, I spent the next hour blowing holes in it. Eventually sealed it up apart from one pin hole. I will leave that to the filler.
I wil try an get approval from her in doors to get a TIG welder!!!!
1945 C10 & C11
1953 C10
1953 C11 x 2
Still looking for an Original 350 side valve C12

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2016, 06:32:58 AM »
You just need more practice, Owen, - you'll probably do the same with a TIG until you get a real feel for it.

Thin  metal can be the very devil so it needs a gentle touch of low heat, coupled with just the right amount of wire speed and a steady hand. You'll be able to weld tinfoil to girders when you've done enough of it!

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Online Owen

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Solutions not problems
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2016, 08:24:42 AM »
It's the old. 'I'll just touch that up a little bit more, oh bugger another hole' should have left it alone. I'm fine with the heavy stuff. I need more bits to weld.
1945 C10 & C11
1953 C10
1953 C11 x 2
Still looking for an Original 350 side valve C12

Online Tman

• Bronze Member
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2016, 10:02:57 AM »
A trick I learnt years ago is not to make up a disc which fits in the hole you wish to fill, but clamp something made of copper or ali under the hole and pulse the trigger to fill the hole in the usual fashion..
If you clamp the material on the "visible" face a smooth surface is formed which requires nothing more than a smear of filler to complete.
Tip, don't try holding the copper or whatever in place as it gets really hot really quickly!

Online camman3

• Gold Member
  • The more I know, the less I understand......in UK
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2017, 08:01:59 PM »
They are so cheap now... and all seem to be solar powered, that I bought one. :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Futuris-Automatic-9-13-Grinding-Welding-Helmet-Mask-E93-/291336451164?hash=item43d501745c:g:m9kAAOSwofxUjwPI
I suppose if you weld often enough, the actual welding process will keep the batteries charged :-\
Graham

Well I've had one of these a year now, and I said I'd report back :-

I've had this cheap welding mask a year now, and it has been used about once a month for a few hours, mainly welding gate automation equipment with a stick welder.
Works perfectly every time and no signs of battery failing as of yet....and I have dropped it a few times :-[

Graham
1957 C12
In sunny (sometimes) Christchurch, Dorset, UK

Online MilitaryRon

• Silver Member
  • Branksome, in Poole, Dorset UK
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2017, 08:19:53 PM »
I've just ordered one of those masks Graham.

I'm with Tman! If I have holes to weld in a mudguards for instance (normal). I rest the outside of the hole on a piece of ally angle clamped in my vice. Then point the mig wire at the edge of the hole from the inside and get a blob of weld attached, then weld to the weld with a series of spot welds until the hole is completely filled up. The outside is usually left flush with minimal sanding required......Then finish off with body filler before primer and paint.  Ron