$context['previous_next'] = $modSettings['enablePreviousNext'] ? '' . $txt['previous_next_back'] . ' ' . $txt['previous_next_forward'] . '' : ''; Oil pump query.

Author Topic: Oil pump query.  (Read 327 times)

Offline Potsy636

Oil pump query.
« on: January 27, 2016, 06:59:31 AM »
Hi I have at last stared back on my c10l project, when fitting the oil pump the small locating raised part that is around the drive peg is loose, not loose enough to drop out more of a sliding fit, should this be a tight fit. Also when using a small adjustable to turn the pump over it seems quite tight. I had stripped it a while back to clean it out.

Any advice very welcome.

Cheers Kelvin.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 07:03:43 AM by Potsy636 »
Kelvin
Isle Of Man

Online camman3

• Gold Member
  • The more I know, the less I understand......in UK
Re: Oil pump query.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 10:26:20 AM »
I'm afraid these pumps are made from "Mazak" (spelling)??....otherwise known as monkey metal, and have a habit of "shrinking" when left for any length of time.
It would be best for you to strip it and lap it till it spins by hand again, as a tight pump has the annoying habit of stripping the worm gear that drives it :(
Draganfly were selling a steel bodied replacement pump some time back, and one had been fitted to my c12 when I got it, because the previous one had done as described.
Having said that, the pump you have will be fine provided bike is run regularly.
The locating shoulder is not critical, maybe a tiny drop of loctite to stop it falling out?.....but dont get any in the pump ???
Graham
1957 C12
In sunny (sometimes) Christchurch, Dorset, UK

Offline Potsy636

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 10:35:01 AM »
Hello thank you Graham, is there a basic procedure for freeing them up, or just give the gears a good rubbing on some fine sandpaper. I did see a post on refreshing the oil pumps on here some time ago, but I can't find it now.

Cheers Kelvin.
Kelvin
Isle Of Man

Online Owen

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Solutions not problems
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 12:12:26 PM »
I lapped the shaft of each gear so it was easy to turn. Then a bit of fine wet and dry on the body and end plates. Give it a good clean after and dont ram the screws in too tight. Give it plenty of oil and see jf it turns ok with a little effort by hand. The locating collar is sandwiched between the pump and casing so it should not need any fettling.
1945 C10 & C11
1953 C10
1953 C11 x 2
Still looking for an Original 350 side valve C12

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 01:47:11 PM »
I've found the main problem is often the corners in the pump body - you need a sharp little pointy scribe to clean these out well. I clean the flat surfaces with 600g wet-and-dry and paraffin on an old mirror and it's then just put it together and try it.

If it's only dragging a bit then spinning it in a bowl of paraffin with a cordless drill will usually do the trick.

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Offline Potsy636

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 02:33:07 PM »
Thank you for all the good info, I will get it stripped down later.

Cheers Kelvin.
Kelvin
Isle Of Man

Online ianinglis

• Silver Member
  • FROM SPROATLEY NEAR HULL EAST YORKSHIRE
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 10:35:51 PM »
as ray said stick the shaft in a battery drill and run it for about a week non stop and it will free itself up ;D
on a serious note its not the steel parts that cause the problem its the "mazac" bits that swell with age
lay a bit of wet & dry on a bit of glass and rub like hell you can also "ream" the shaft holes out if you wrap a bit of wet and dry round a dowel or other round thing just be patient and it will come right eventualy

ian
BSA C10L 1956 - JFO 588
BSA C10L 1954 - MVE 107
RM6 RALEIGH RUNABOUT
ENFIELD DIESEL KUBOTA OC 95
BSA M21 RIGID RKN 816
CBF 1000
BSA ARIEL 3

Offline jubclip

• Living in Edinburgh, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 01:43:00 PM »
The suggestion of using mirror is good as it is plate glass. A few years ago I went to a local glazier and asked for an off cut of heavy plate glass.. Answer...we only sell 10x8 sheets.  Even the staff  standing around were horrified.  Eventually was passed rather surreptitiously by one of the guys a piece of broken 1/4 plate (also cut square for me)...to lap the oil pump I think.  My pump was more gunged up with the white moisture mixed gunge and freed up quite well by spinning it.  There must be loads of stories on Mazak alloy. 60/70's cast car handles. Best wishes to all.
!945, C10 Rigid, 250cc Side valve.

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 10:02:41 AM »
Yes, that's why I always use a mirror as it was pointed out to me many years ago that if the reflection was good in an old mirror then you knew it was flat.

I've know folk to use a bit of ordinary window glass but that's not good enough for what we want!

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Offline Keith

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 05:37:50 PM »
i have recently read that these oil pumps should be stiff to turn when dry and free up when they have oil in them. They should not turn too freely when dry. I found that my pump could only be turned with pliers after cleaning and a light sanding of the end cap interiors and then turned freely once oil was sucked into it. Keith

Offline Potsy636

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 08:36:28 PM »
Hi so after a good clean out and a de burr my oil pump seems fine, it does get a touch tighter when bolted into the engine, this must be the extra pressure on the casing, but it turns freely enough so happy days, so the rebuild can now continue.

Thank you for the great advice.

Kelvin.
Kelvin
Isle Of Man