$context['previous_next'] = $modSettings['enablePreviousNext'] ? '' . $txt['previous_next_back'] . ' ' . $txt['previous_next_forward'] . '' : ''; C10 Project

Author Topic: C10 Project  (Read 841 times)

Online Ginge

• In NZ sometimes. In Oz sometimes.
Re: C10 Project
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 04:30:18 AM »
The C extractor is a different thread than the later A bikes.  I think one is CEI and the other is BSF?

There's a thread on forum about the three (?) different extractors somewhere.

Paul, the two ball races slide off the clutch spline.  You can probably flick them off with a couple of thin screwdrivers.  Be careful with them. They are not cheap to replace and the balls easily fall out of the race.

You might be able to get the clutch hub off with an off the shelf puller, but suggest you get the BSA extractor.  You'll be in and out of the clutch a few times before it stops slipping or grabbing if you're anything like the rest of us.

I have the extractor but I'm in NZ at the moment. PM me if you get desperate.

When you rebuild the gearbox, use a heap of silicone on the main shaft splines before you put the front sprocket back on.  Otherwise the gear oil can wick down the splines and out into the fresh air under the bike.  That's where the main shaft bearing you should replace is.

The bronze bushes are easy to drift out ( gently ).  Put the gear box case on a sand bag or something.  When installing new bushes, I freeze the bush in the freezer and heat the case in the oven.  It all goes together easily.

Ginge

Ginge.

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 07:34:17 AM »
Sorry, I didn't read the question closely enough and assumed it was the bearing that needed to come off.

For many years I got these clutch centres off with no special tools but have all three extractors now mixed up in my drawer full of special tools. I thought the C clutch centres are the same as the other early As and Bs, with the unit engines having a coarser thread, but I may be wrong. I just try my pullers on until one fits!

You should be able to get the centre off, perhaps with a bit of heat on the hub first, and then send off for the correct puller to make your life easier in the future, Paul. It's a worthwhile investment.

Ray

Just a motorcyclist.

Offline BSAussie

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 07:34:26 AM »
Thanks  Gents,
A couple of taps with a spindle shaft from an old SU carby did the trick. I didn't realise it was just pressed on and all one piece with the ball races and clutch plate?
I now have the gear box in many bits on the bench and appears to be in good nick except the layshaft in bent through the stud and threaded part and worn unevenly and has worn the bush in the smaller gear. I found another layshaft in my bits that is straight but worn to a lesser extent. Are they easily replaced?
Again, thank you for your collective help
Cheers
Paulav
C10 1946
MGB 1971
Jag E-type 1970

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 09:53:16 AM »
Just common sense and, as has been mentioned many times, a lot easier if you have a Pitman or BSA Instruction book to hand, Paulav.

The shafts are assembled together with inner gears and selectors and all is slid into the gearbox shell as an assembly. This may have to be done about three times before you get it right so make sure you have the best clean bath towel underneath to stop things getting gritty again. I do mine dry and then squirt a bit of oil on when I know all is well.

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Offline BSAussie

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2016, 11:23:12 PM »
Sorry Ray, I wasn't clear. I meant can you still buy the lay shafts as a spare part. I have a BSA manual ordered but it got lost in the post! They are sending another.
Thanks for the tip on assembling the gears.
Cheers
Paul
C10 1946
MGB 1971
Jag E-type 1970

Online Ginge

• In NZ sometimes. In Oz sometimes.
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2016, 11:46:17 PM »
Probably just as cheap to try and track down another gear box. I haven't looked but would think new lay shafts would be pricey. Try Draganfly.
Ginge.

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2016, 09:19:11 AM »
New shafts cost a lot of money if you can find one still around, Paul, so as Ginge said, an old gearbox will be cheaper.

I've picked them up as a tin full of bits for a fiver at an autojumble and a couple of years ago I bought a layshaft, complete with most of its gears, for £12 from the breaker George Yeoman. I think it was a cheque for £18 to cover the carriage but took about three weeks for him to find and send it.

There must be unwanted parts closer to you than the UK.

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Online ianinglis

• Silver Member
  • FROM SPROATLEY NEAR HULL EAST YORKSHIRE
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2016, 09:27:36 AM »
i have just had a look at DRAGANFLY website and moist of the parts are readilily available at reasonable prices - give them a try

http://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/bsa/bsa/a710--b3133--c101112--m202133/category/904-pre-unit-c-group-3-speed-1939-55

ian
BSA C10L 1956 - JFO 588
BSA C10L 1954 - MVE 107
RM6 RALEIGH RUNABOUT
ENFIELD DIESEL KUBOTA OC 95
BSA M21 RIGID RKN 816
CBF 1000
BSA ARIEL 3

Online chaterlea25

• Silver Member
  • nr Cork Rep of Ireland
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2016, 04:07:03 PM »
Hi,
When I am rebuilding later BSA gearboxes (A10) I find that the layshaft is usually worn
I turn them down until the damage is removed and make new undersize bushes to suit
The shafts machine well using carbide insert tooling

HTH
John

Offline BSAussie

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 10:53:05 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. Dragonfly have them for about GBP18, so I'll get one from them with other bits I need for gearbox and clutch.
A few questions if anyone can help....

Is there an alternate bearing available to replace the clutch chainwheel bearing parts 65-3910,65-3911 and 65-3912. Mine are shot and need replacing.

On the inside of the gearbox cover there are two threaded holes. I can't see from diagrams what they are there for and there are no parts listed that would attach there??. I attached a photo with two bolts pointing at them.

Thanks again for help.
CheersPaul
C10 1946
MGB 1971
Jag E-type 1970

Offline jess

• lancashire
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2016, 08:48:14 PM »
two little angled brackets as stops for the gear lever to protect the case i think most gearboxes that have been apart all ways seam to have them missing

Offline BSAussie

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2016, 10:57:14 AM »
Does anyone have a diagram of photo of these brackets? I could have them. Will the gear box work ok without them
Paul
C10 1946
MGB 1971
Jag E-type 1970