Author Topic: Starting without heart attack!  (Read 261 times)

Offline LilChip

Starting without heart attack!
« on: February 29, 2016, 09:57:41 AM »
Hi, I am presently attempting to restore a C12 and foolishly tried starting it yesterday, just to see if it would. However, I realised I did not know the sequence for starting. I know one turns the key one side for no battery, the other for battery assist, but which way is which? Plus, do I have to turn the knob thingy as well?
One other question. Should the compression be so high as to make kicking the bike over difficult? It nearly put me in hospital!
Many thanks.

Offline Paul S

Re: Starting without heart attack!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 10:16:12 AM »
Normally, turn the key clockwise for starting and anticlockwise for emergency starting, but don't let it run for long in the emergency position.

They are not normally hard to kick over, and in my experience they always start first kick.

Paul   
Growing old is compulsory, but growing up is optional.
1955 C12
1961 Greeves Scottish
1998 Kawasaki zzr600
1967 Triumph Vitesse 2 ltr convertible

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 10:19:04 AM »
Centre position, where the key will pull out, is off and one click clockwise is on for normal ignition. The other knob thingy is the light switch.

Compression on the kick start depends on what you're used to, Mr L. It may seem hard to kick if all you've had before is an electric button or a little Jap two-stroke. If you've been used to a decent T120 Bonneville or an XT500 then a C12 will seem like a toy. There's a bit of a knack to flicking over a four stroke single so it probably just needs practice.

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Online ianinglis

• Silver Member
  • FROM SPROATLEY NEAR HULL EAST YORKSHIRE
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 11:00:48 AM »
BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING I WOULD REMOVE THE SPARK PLUG and check that you have a spark
put a battery on it (should be 6 volt) clean the points with a bit of fine wet and dry paper flood the carb by pressing the "tickler" (thats the small pip button thing that sticks out the top of the float bowl) and see how you go
if its been stood for years then the oil pump may be seized so if you do get it going check that the oil is returning back to the tank by removing the screw on cap - you should be able to see a dribble of oil from the sticking up pipe thingy if you have a sprk and petrol then it should at least fire - good luck

ian
BSA C10L 1956 - JFO 588
BSA C10L 1954 - MVE 107
RM6 RALEIGH RUNABOUT
ENFIELD DIESEL KUBOTA OC 95
BSA M21 RIGID RKN 816
CBF 1000
BSA ARIEL 3

Online MilitaryRon

• Silver Member
  • Branksome, in Poole, Dorset UK
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 11:16:08 AM »
And it's probably wet sumped by now anyway. Which will make it harder to kick over. So start by draining the crankcase.  Ron

Online hampshirebiker

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 11:23:06 AM »
You really should carry out a few basic checks (as advised) before trying to start a bike that's been standing. BTW the compression on my C12 is such that the kickstart will hold my twelve stone for quite a while before moving.
Postal - Liphook Hants - But just into West Sussex.

Offline LilChip

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 09:27:49 AM »
Thanks all. I have had Brit bikes in the past before the push button jap's came along. I also have a Bantam which my 8yr old grandson can kick over but the C12 seemed . . . 'sticky'. Thanks Hampershirebiker, I'm only 11 stone! Both me and my grandson stood on the kickstart and it didn't move! It works well, it's just - it reminds me of a 350 MAC Velocette with a broken compression release valve. That one nearly killed me!
Many thanks.

Online MilitaryRon

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 10:15:07 AM »
Now you are getting into the realms of 'technique' The velo kick start works through the lay shaft and not the main shaft and shortens the effect of the kick. Which is why you can have trouble starting them unless you adopt the correct procedure ??? 

Have you checked for a wet sump yet?

Ron

Offline Paul S

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 10:31:53 AM »
The velo must by started by...find compression --- operate the valve lifter/compression valve --- one gentle full kick of the kick starter --- release valve lifter --- give one hefty kick and pray that it starts and you haven't got to go though all that again.

Thank god the dear little C just needs a quick tickle and a quick prod, and away she goes.
Growing old is compulsory, but growing up is optional.
1955 C12
1961 Greeves Scottish
1998 Kawasaki zzr600
1967 Triumph Vitesse 2 ltr convertible

Online MilitaryRon

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 11:52:15 AM »
Most of my bikes have to be started that way Paul. I can easily stand my 9 stone ;) on the kick start of my M20 on compression, but at least when it's over compression, a good kick will get the engine spinning. :D  Ron