Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Technical Section / Re: KC10 Fork Bushes
« Last post by Tim K on January 20, 2022, 11:15:33 AM »
Cheers Ron,
Silly me, I should have known there wasn’t an easy option lol! I have a 1940’s lathe but it too is in need of restoration!
Thanks for the illustrations, I haven’t yet dismantled the forks.
I will attach photos of them. The second one does indeed prove that the sun sometimes shines in Buxton!
Cheers,
Tim.
Technical Section / Re: KC10 Fork Bushes
« Last post by MilitaryRon on January 20, 2022, 10:19:41 AM »
Tim the forks on these are a smaller version of the M20 type. They don't have solid through spindles as I think you're aware of. The spindles are actually part of the links with just long through bolts holding each side together......Unless you are very lucky, I don't think you will buy anything off the shelve.....So it's a job for an engineer/machine shop.

To get the old bushes out, I screw in a suitable course tap and use the tap to drift out from the opposite side. I haven't got the size to hand, but I'm guessing that the spindles/pins are 1/2"??. If you mike them up and they are reasonably round, you can get away with newly made phosphor bronze bushes, pressed in and reamed to size.

If the pins are badly worn oval, they can be machined out of the link and newly made pins can be silver soldered back into the links. It's all standard stuff for an old school engineer.

The links I've circled are the ones in question. Ron
Technical Section / KC10 Fork Bushes
« Last post by Tim K on January 20, 2022, 09:21:43 AM »
Hi, I’m in need of fork bushes, pins for a 1939 KC10. I’ve tried Bantam John’s, with vague unsuccessful results. From info. I’ve gleaned from this site, KC’s had different forks to WC’s (which got B Series forks?).
Does anyone know of a source for the above parts please? Nick Hendricks tells me the pins will be worn too, I haven’t stripped the assembly down yet…..
Cheers,
Tim.
Technical Section / Re: Help To Identify Parts
« Last post by dpow-trow on January 19, 2022, 10:49:48 PM »
Photographs of the said parts would be a help, I am sure many will be able to identify them and some may welcome the chance to purchase. best wishes for the disposal

David in Trowbridge
Technical Section / Help To Identify Parts
« Last post by Tim K on January 19, 2022, 10:40:02 PM »
I have some post war C series, C11 I think, parts that I would like help to identify please.
I’m helping an elderly chap to sell them and I know little about them or their value.
Any help is much appreciated, thanks.
Hopefully someone on here is willing to help me establish a fair price for them. Somehow the task seems to carry more gravity, than if the parts were mine!
Thanks,
Tim.
Technical Section / C" Register Form. Register your bike details here
« Last post by Pete on January 18, 2022, 09:13:22 AM »
For some time now we have been gathering details of members bikes, and appreciate all help we have had so far.  We still think we have a long way to go, and there are many more bikes out there that we don't know about.  If you have not already entered your bike details on our register, please help us by giving all the information you are happy to share with other members here "Registration Form, Click Here". Be assured, only Moderators of this site can access these details, unless you give permission to share with other members, by ticking "Allow" at the bottom of the form.

A photo of each side of your bike would also be helpful, and can be emailed to Owen at bsa.stiles@btinternet.com

Thank you in advance for your help, and for supporting the site.

Pete & Owen.
Technical Section / Re: C12 engine/frame plates
« Last post by timsdad on January 18, 2022, 07:52:30 AM »
I think they built a special Lysander with glass panels, got the crew to sit really still and then took a photograph!

Ray
Technical Section / Re: C10 Tank Badges & Battery cover
« Last post by timsdad on January 18, 2022, 07:44:32 AM »
The BSAOC may now have copies of the original factory records. Many years ago, after the factory was demolished, these hand-written ledgers were rescued and held by the Science Museum in London. Several years ago they were transferred to the VMCC Headquarters and members were able to consult the books in their library. There is no photographing or photocopying allowed but, pre-plague, they happily gave me paper and pencils, plus regular cups of tea, while I copied down anything I wanted.

In more recent years, the VMCC may have shared the information with the owners' clubs because, as far as I know, the only note of each bike's individual details of engine number, date of despatch, destination etc was these neat, hard-backed ledgers, with one book for each year and model. Many pre-war records were lost for various reasons, I think, but BSA's massive post '45 output means there's a fair old shelf full of these dusty old tomes. Perhaps the Owners' Clubs deal direct with the VMCC with each individual request as it arrives. Does anyone on here have inside information how a request is dealt with?

Ray
Technical Section / Re: C12 engine/frame plates
« Last post by malverned on January 18, 2022, 07:04:13 AM »
What superb quality BSA drawings were in those days.

Any Car /Commercial or Bike manual or especially parts book up to the 1970's is normally a joy to flip through, even the Japanese ones I have from 71-75 are still showcases of the skill of guys using parallel motion boards in big design depts.

The earlier the better in terms of shading and illustrative art quite often, like the frame and parts depicted, they would have been just as good for the job depicted as plain line, but they went the extra because that's how things were done then, with some pride and to show skills.

All sadly gone mostly, the technical illustrator and graphic artists, replaced by pro engineer / catia mouse clickers.

When I worked at a sports car firm in the 80's-90's I used to love to go to the stores and browse through the drawing cabinets at the blueprints, some dating back to pre WW1......those were on another level still, with chassis frames even depicting rivets and leaf spring bindings.

As a nipper I loved the 1940's or so era aircraft I.D. books with the cutaway drawings, and Flight and the like Aircraft magazine as my Mum was a lifelong aircraft enthusiast after being in the industry during WW2....this sort of thing as the Lysander below.

My very first job after school as I loved T.D. was a cartographer, Rotring pens with hypodermic sized tubular nibs etc. and even some dipped nibs, but alas it was too staid, stuffy and quiet for me at that age despite enjoying the work, the boss said it was a shame as he thought I was doing well, but he also said they simply could not find 16 year olds to train, probably because of my reasons.

If I had gone to a college or private school maybe I would have been more used to the quiet, studious atmosphere who knows, but I then went to an engineering firm to train where they had Slade on the radio and 20 girls in the assembly shop.....no contest!

ATB, ED

Technical Section / Re: C10 Tank Badges & Battery cover
« Last post by ROB KEMP on January 17, 2022, 07:05:22 PM »
My dating certificate from bsaoc states when the motorcycle was  dispatched and where to, also what original engine was fitted , and the engine i fitted what the bike was it came from and when the engine was dispatched .
In my case the bike was dispatched on feb 2nd 1953  and the engine i fitted was dispatched on march 27th 1953 so pretty close match .

Draganfly sell and have in stock the main stainless badges but are out of stock of the correct round BSA badges ,i bought my main badges from them then scoured e bay weekly untill the BSA round badges came up for auction .
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]