Author Topic: 1947 C11 rocker oil gallery modification (Per service sheet 603 recommendation)  (Read 1584 times)

Offline 14Nige

Hi I own a 1947 C11 which I use as a regular ride and has been perfectly reliable but after going through the service sheets I noticed that there had been a recommendation that the rockers have an additional lubrication installed by taking a feed from the return pipe to the oil tank up to the rocker gallery.
My ride has not been modified.
If I were to try and do this modification then I obviously needs some parts sourcing....possibly impossible to get now or a modification made.
My query is does anyone think this needs doing as I have used the bike regularly over the last two years with no issues. I would welcome you views on the subject.

Online Tman

• Silver Member
It's lasted seventy years as it is...how long do you want it to last? ;)

Offline 14Nige

I agree if it lasts me out that will do...my feelings exactly ;)

Online camman3

• Gold Member
  • The more I know, the less I understand......in UK
I believe it was fitted as standard on the c12, and Draganfly sold the pipe and union kit to convert earlier models.
As well as the pipes and rocker cover union, you will need to modify the rocker pin block, but as said, there seems to be very little to be gained from the exercise, as adequate lubrication seems to "mist" up there......if you are riding 200 miles a day it may be worthwhile  :-\
1957 C12
In sunny (sometimes) Christchurch, Dorset, UK

Online Owen

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Solutions not problems
This has been discussed several times in the 'Technical' section. I have modified my 53 c11 many years ago however I have noticed those that have not been done do not seem to suffer greatly from wear and tare.
1940 C12 (350cc)
1945 C10 & C11
1953 C10 & C11
Anyone want a B20 in need of a lot of tlc

Online Tman

• Silver Member
My C12 hasn't got this oil pipe fitted, and going by the old RF60 it's the original engine. May be BSA (like most other makers) fitted what they had rather than what was shown in the ad catalogue?

Online chaterlea25

• Silver Member
  • nr Cork Rep of Ireland
Hi All,
Who knows what has been done to the bikes over the last 60+ years  ::)
I found an oil tank connection for a C recently that has the tank end adaptor and T connection for the rocker feed,
£10 +post
If someone wants it send me a PM and we can work from there

John

Online Vreagh

I did the conversion in the 60s and can remember the difference it made. I was only going short distance to work and back so don't think think the engine ever got hot enough (except at weekends !!! ) to generate the required "oil mist" that  Bsa said would lubricate. Probably not as essential now days when bikes are used more for leisure. The bike is still going strong so must have got something right.

Offline timsdad

• Gold Member
The direct rocker oil feed up-date was introduced by BSA part way through C11G production so all the later 250s from about early 1955 had it fitted from new. I think BSA only did it to bring the model in line with the rest of their range and not because it suffered from premature wear of the valve gear.

My original early C11G hasn't got it fitted but suffers no problems of wear. I bought the parts to do it from Draganfly several years ago but haven't bothered to fit them because it doesn't seem to be necessary - there's always plenty of oil up there whenever I peer in the rocker cover. Modern multi-grade oils will find their way through and splash up there much quicker than the old mono-grades did back in the day so that's a benefit too.

So, it's your bike, Nige, so you pays your money and you makes your choice!

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Offline 14Nige

Thanks Ray and everyone else.
Think I will just carry on riding it and enjoying it....thanks to everyone for there views though I appreciate the feedback....I havent met anyone else locally with a C11 to ask so its been good to hear the replies.

Offline bart

In my C11 ,more than one .
It is dificult to keep the rocker cover oil tight.
So no problem with lubricaition
every model from C10 '39 to C12'58  exept C12'40
and others

Offline Dstep

I agree with Bart, I can't maintain an oil tight cover, so no worries about it not getting enough oil.

David
'52 BSA C11
'50 BSA B34
'67 MGB Roadster
'00 Kawasaki W650

Offline C11Andy

Regarding rocker cover sealing, I have cured mine after many years of leaking by making my own gasket from 1/8th inch cork gasket  material. I took an imprint of the top of the head when it was last removed and made the gasket to fit the actual shape of the head which was nothing like any of those I ever bought.
Andy
1953 C11
1958 Ariel NH
1959 T100A

Online Owen

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Solutions not problems
For my 45 C11 Dstep has made me some blanking plugs for the early breathers. I added a couple of blind holes so they look identical to the originals. I also use 1/8" gasket material for the rocker cover and a little Hylomar on the gasket faces to seal nicely.
1940 C12 (350cc)
1945 C10 & C11
1953 C10 & C11
Anyone want a B20 in need of a lot of tlc

Offline ginantonik

Hmmmm - so why do not any of the rocker gaskets fit?
Like others, my was miles out, solved by cutting a 3-4mm (!!!) out of the gasket, then sticking it to the r/box with sillycon.

Problem solved but why in the first place - people copying, faults, copying faults, etc ?