Author Topic: Lifting on to centre stand with ease  (Read 2802 times)

Offline Tman

• Silver Member
Re: Lifting on to centre stand with ease
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 05:26:14 pm »
The accepted way of putting Indians on the centre stand is to put the sidestand down, lean the bike towards you until the back end is off the floor and the bike's balanced, then push down the centre stand until it locks forward and then let the bike return upright.
Looks and sounds dangerous, but works fine, and I've seen Duke riders doing the same trick.
 Even Geoff Capes would struggle putting 500+ lbs of American iron on this particular design of stand.

Online Paul S

• Bronze Member
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 05:42:01 pm »
Hmm, I'll try that.
Growing old is compulsory, but growing up is optional.
1955 C12
1961 Greeves Scottish
1998 Kawasaki zzr600
1967 Triumph Vitesse 2 ltr convertible
1959 BSA C1000

Offline Ribbet counter

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2018, 03:10:21 pm »
Getting it on the stand isn't too bad; getting it off is  worse. My stand just skids forward when I try to push the bike off it. I have to put one foot in front of the stand and then push forward which places me in an off-balance position as the bike rolls forward. Anyone got a solution?

Online Owen

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Solutions not problems
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 04:08:06 pm »
Are you putting your other foot in front of the one you are blocking the centre stand so you are moving g your centre of gravity more central?
1940 C12 (350cc)
1945 C10 & C11
1953 C10 & C11
Anyone want a B20 in need of a lot of tlc

Online Paul S

• Bronze Member
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 04:58:41 pm »
I'll make another video showing how I get it off the stand (I've thought of it to be a problem)

But you'll have to wait until the snow has cleared.
1955 C12
1961 Greeves Scottish
1998 Kawasaki zzr600
1959 BSA C1000

Offline Ribbet counter

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2018, 05:45:27 pm »
Thanks so much for the replies. Ive often thought there must be an easier way but I'm obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed :-\ It's me age!

Offline jacksboy

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2018, 08:36:43 pm »
And me I've found It's the only way that I've got it onto Its stand.

Online Owen

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Solutions not problems
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2018, 10:17:09 pm »
Trouble is we are all heading in one direction. (old)
1940 C12 (350cc)
1945 C10 & C11
1953 C10 & C11
Anyone want a B20 in need of a lot of tlc

Online Paul S

• Bronze Member
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2018, 08:29:26 am »
Here is how to take it off the stand (I just realised I the camera was still running when I took it off the stand)
I have never thought of this as a problem, I am 71 next month, but I have been around bikes for the last 60.

1955 C12
1961 Greeves Scottish
1998 Kawasaki zzr600
1959 BSA C1000

Offline Ribbet counter

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 11:05:50 am »
Here is how to take it off the stand (I just realised I the camera was still running when I took it off the stand)
I have never thought of this as a problem, I am 71 next month, but I have been around bikes for the last 60.

Thanks so much Paul. It hadn't occured to me to put my foot on the foot of the stand instead of in front of it. Simples! Off out into the frozen tundra to the garage to try it. Lovely C12 btw. J

Offline Tman

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2018, 04:02:12 pm »
...And if the stand doesn't have a foot, then put your right foot in front of the stand base and pull the bike forward.
Isn't this sort of stuff the absolute basics of riding a motorbike? :-\

Offline timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2018, 04:57:57 pm »
You're right, Mr T!  Like others on here, I've got lots of different models of bikes that all need different methods of getting on and off centre stands and I've probable owned, or just used, hundreds of different bikes in my lengthy motorcycling career.

I accept that my pre-unit Cs are harder work than my big old Laverdas that just roll onto their stands with little effort and will then hold either wheel up off the ground with just a touch of weight on the opposite end. BMWs I've owned also do the same, as do several other bikes.

However, getting the knack of rolling any bike onto its stand is something I've always managed to sort out quite quickly in ownership. As discussed on here a few months ago, the wooden ramp thingy laying on a bit of old carpet can make the C stand easier in the workshop but an added side stand is the real answer in our weak-as-piss declining years. Carting bits of wood about to use in a bike park is not my idea of fun. Lots of modern bikes only have a prop stand and they need a paddock stand for maintenance.

Usually, when a bike scoots along the floor, and needs a toe in front to get it off the stand, it's because the stops are worn so the stand goes too far forward off the vertical. It needs sorting out with blobs of weld!

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Offline bsac12ver

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2018, 07:26:55 pm »
I only put my C12 on the centre stand for maintenance hence I made the ramp to make life easier and no risk of pulling muscles :-) I do not cart the wooden ramp around as I have a side stand. I do not want to park my bike on the centre stand when out so no risk of me doing myself a strained muscle. That is why I put the post up so I do not need clever dicks telling me how to do it !

Online Paul S

• Bronze Member
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2018, 07:49:34 pm »
I only put my C12 on the centre stand for maintenance hence I made the ramp to make life easier and no risk of pulling muscles :-) I do not cart the wooden ramp around as I have a side stand. I do not want to park my bike on the centre stand when out so no risk of me doing myself a strained muscle. That is why I put the post up so I do not need clever dicks telling me how to do it !

Sorry, this question often crops up, I was just trying to be helpful to anyone who hadn't got the technique quite right.
1955 C12
1961 Greeves Scottish
1998 Kawasaki zzr600
1959 BSA C1000

Offline FrAlan

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2018, 10:52:48 pm »
I remember using a rudge with a rather nifty lever operated center stand, has anyone got a drawing of one