Author Topic: C11 Baujahr 1946  (Read 965 times)

Offline George B Walke

Re: C11 Baujahr 1946
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2019, 04:15:42 pm »
In my distant youth if I got hold of an old bike with no logbook, never bought, you notice,  mostly free, or 10bob, I would apply to the old LCC for one;  They would go through records to find and contact previous owner; if no owner they give you another ,ON THE OLD EXISTING REG number. Sometimes I would receive the old logbook from the previous owner,often with some history.

I have even bought an unregistered scrambler, made an arrangement to ride it, untaxed, to  County Hall SE1 where someone would come out to it, cursilory inspect it for frame and engine numbers and a little while later on payment of road tax I'd get a logbook with a reg number, all sorted.

Life is no easier these days, just over complex. Nor safer, nor honest.

Offline Tman

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2019, 04:34:14 pm »
That said, the few times I've had to reregister a bike I've found the process can be long-winded but simple enough. The occasions when other people seem to find it difficult always seem to be the ones where they're either working some sort of flanker or hoping to short-cut the process.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 12:45:24 pm by Pete »

Offline MilitaryRon

• Gold Member
  • Branksome, in Poole, Dorset UK
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2019, 05:48:38 pm »
In Belgium it is  easy to re register an old bike with no paperwork.
no difficult questions about weight , ,,,,,,, :)

Bart my friend 'Jan' in Bruges  had great difficulty registering this bike that he bought off a French farmer. The French farmer (or maybe it was his father) found the bike after the retreat at Dunkirk (effectively he stole it)  And in that respect he was still worried about reprisals from the authorities, and would not issue Jan with a 'Bill of Sale'. The Belgium registration people would not register the bike without some sort of title or Bill of Sale.......So I just sent him a Bill of Sale as though he'd bought the bike from me at Netley Marsh Jumble........Publish and be dammed!! ;)  Ron

Offline griff

• Bronze Member
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2019, 09:27:05 am »
Back to the registration. The continental ideal is a certificate of conformity that gives the details of a motor that was manufactured. When I registered my Hymer (German made) in France I had a few problems. They wanted me do do the near impossible as the motor was on a Fiat chassis. I had to get a cert from Peugeot to say they manufactured the engine and exported it to Italy. Fiat in turn had to produce a cert to say they fitted the engine to a chassis and exported it to Germany. Then a cert from Hymer to say they had manufactured it into a motorhome and exported it to the UK. Hymer in the UK produced a cert to say they had only modified the headlights for UK use and I had exported it to France where the local M-o-T station had to certfy that it had had the lights changed and conformed with the French regulations, which included a gas test certificate and setbelt fitting regulations hd been adhered to,  confirmed with a visit to the local ministry of transport for conformation. Now it is much easier as the UK logbook , since 2000 contains all the relevant information for registration in Europe (various numbers on the V5).
            One problem registering abroad is the authorities insist everything is in their native language. Imagine the reaction from the DVLA if you produced a certificate written in German where as the continental log book has the necessary numbers to register a foreign vehicle over here.
          I'll go and lie down now and recover .    ::)   Griff
Ride safely and no pinchmarks on the seat.
 Feet-up, only on trials sections...

Offline griff

• Bronze Member
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2019, 09:42:45 am »
  The only reason I spent 6 months getting the motor registered was I'm a bloody minded sod when the mood catches me. The buggers were not going to win . also it meant I could use the motor without tax, legally, 'till all the paperwork was completed. Another loophole.    ;)   Griff
Ride safely and no pinchmarks on the seat.
 Feet-up, only on trials sections...

Offline isleofmanpaul

• Bronze Member
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2019, 02:11:44 pm »
On this island it's no problem with a dating cert and a quick look by a chap at the IOM Testing station you can get the paperwork sorted in a morning , only downside is that historic vehicle tax here is £16 .  :(

Offline hampshirebiker

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2019, 02:24:01 pm »
That must stretch you somewhat Paul. ;D
Postal - Liphook Hants - But just into West Sussex.

Offline ricky77

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2019, 03:01:17 pm »
here in Italy,
to have a road registration for a Bike exported from ukas BSA, is very long and very difficult .....you have DVLA,we have MOTORIZZAZIONE CIVILE,.....the very big problem is making a property passage of the bike,as Italian i can't put on the v5c my name going to motorizzazione an have a regular italian Plate and book.
i spent around 6 month to have Italian Plate.
they make you want to do,.... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Ricky