Author Topic: C11G electrics  (Read 228 times)

Offline BeezerBob2020

• Running In
C11G electrics
« on: October 13, 2020, 03:00:32 pm »
Hi ,hope someone can explain in simple(very) terms the answer to the following.... 1955 C11G nearly ready to go, sooo as i understand two wires from the alternator to the modern rectifier ,diagonally opposite terminals either way round ,other terminal marked +ve to battery +ve or earth, 4th terminal to ignition switch.My problem is the wiring diagrams that i've seen have 3 terminals on the ignition switch 4,7 and 13 that require a connection to the rectifier which leaves me two wires short??? any and all help greatfully received .Bob

Online Donald

Re: C11G electrics
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 07:35:51 pm »
Hi there.
Is it 6volts? or are you converting to 12 volts,? Is it a modern rectifier/ regulator ?
need more information.

Offline BeezerBob2020

• Running In
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 07:49:35 pm »
Hi, yeah 6volt, modern cheap rectifier and not converting if poss, cheers,  Bob.

Online Donald

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 08:31:41 pm »
Hi does this help?
Donald

Online Donald

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 08:52:51 pm »
Hi, after re reading your post ,it looks like you are saying the wiring  loom is two wires short.?
if so you may have the wrong loom.
  It may be a 12v loom for something else  or similar..
Donald

Offline BeezerBob2020

• Running In
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 08:58:32 pm »
Hi, thanks for the quick response but have this diagram already, my issue is the wires to the rectifier,  there are 4 contacts on the rectifier and as I understand things there should be 2 wires from the alternator connected diagonally opposite each other, the 3rd connected to earth(+ve on battery) and the 4th to the ignition switch ,but don't know which terminal to connect it to, 4, 7 or 13? Or should I take 2 more wires from the rectifier taking 1 from each of the 2 alternator connectors??? Help please. Bob

Online Donald

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 09:09:52 pm »
yes you will have to add two more wires.
Are you making the wiring loom ,or is it a shop bought item?
Donald

Offline BeezerBob2020

• Running In
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 09:33:40 pm »
Hi Donald, thanks for the reply, the loom came with the bike but I'm guessing altered and modified over time, previous owner reported charging problems hence trying to get my head around the ins an outs of the wiring ,rest of the bike now fettled so any help with the final hurdle much appreciated. Bob

Online chaterlea25

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 10:32:15 pm »
Hi Bob,
How many wires are coming from the alternator?
If 3 wires do the colours match the diagram? if not you need to figure out how they are connected internally to the windings

There was a long thread about how to sort this out some time ago

John

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 08:25:51 am »
You just need to get your head round how the system works, Bob, and I think you're not realising that one of the wires is actually going TO the rectifier and not from it.

The AC wires go from two of the the alternator coils to the two opposite spades on the rectifier, which converts their current to DC, which then emerges as Direct current from the Neg spade to feed the ignition and light switch, with the excess going onwards down to the battery to top it up. The Positive rectifier spade is to earth the plot so there's a complete circuit with the battery.

The other wires, which you have to add, are to take the AC current from the third alternator coil up to the switch so, when the lights are turned on, it also completes this AC circuit to enable the extra charging coil to feed the AC current down to the rectifier and add to the DC current to run the head light,

When wired for twelve volts, the same alternator just throws all the AC into the rectifier and then the regulator, or Zenor diode, gets rid of the excess DC to prevent the battery from overcharging. Your loom is probably intended for twelve volts but, with the added two extra wires, is fine for the original six volt system.

I hope this clarifies things a bit.

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Offline BeezerBob2020

• Running In
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 01:15:18 pm »
 Cheers Ray ,gotcha ;D may only remaining query being which terminal at the ign switch to connect the wire from the neg spade on the rectifier to? guessing 13 but confirmation would be great, my colour coded loom is totally different to the wiring diagrams i've seen,so that together with small brain is a real challenge.
Bob.

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2020, 07:56:32 am »
Yes, Bob, it looks like, from the diagram, negative live DC from the rectifier feeds No. 13 on the switch, which will then connect it up to the headlamp switch and coil feed when the key is moved round. This can easily be checked with a test light when the battery is hooked up.

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Offline BeezerBob2020

• Running In
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2020, 08:27:47 am »
Cheers Ray, appreciate all the help from you and all the other contributors, great forum  ;D.