Author Topic: Clutch plates  (Read 472 times)

Online hampshirebiker

• Gold Member
Re: Clutch plates
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2018, 10:24:15 pm »
Has no one considered Villiers Services?
Postal - Liphook Hants - But just into West Sussex.

Online MilitaryRon

• Gold Member
  • Branksome, in Poole, Dorset UK
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2018, 10:44:54 pm »
Strangely Drags have two types of Triumph plates 57-1362 is the standard friction plates but they also list 57-0414 which is the revised number for the cork plates and are £2 dearer. I'm dying to ask them what the difference is, but the buggers took the whole week off....Bah Humbug!  Ron

Online MilitaryRon

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2018, 07:56:34 am »
Has no one considered Villiers Services?

As far as I know HB, they only do Villiers clutches, and their prices are not much different from the cork bloke......I'm told it's the price of cork! Ron

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2018, 09:23:58 am »
Yes, Draganfly's plates are modern Surflex replacements, probably made for them in the Far East, but there are no markings on them. I bought half a dozen from them a couple of months ago, as I have several times over the years, and they've always been fine.  My Thunderbird needed half a dozen and a set of springs but a C isn't going to break the bank.

I can't see the point of re-corking old plates unless it's an engineering exercise or you're an absolute stickler for originality. Bonded plates work just as well as the old ones because that's what BSA and all the other manufacturers went on to in the '60s. They work for me, anyway!

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Online MilitaryRon

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2018, 09:33:27 am »
The trouble is Ray, I've fitted new bonded plates and springs to this 5SW and can't stop the plates slipping if trying to kick through compression. I've double checked everything and once I put the old cork plates back, it works fine. I'm anxious to know what the difference is between the two types of Triumph plates that Drags sell. Ron 

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2018, 09:53:35 am »
Don't know, Ron, because I've never had a problem with bonded plates slipping once the clutch is set up correctly. I know they're thinner, so a clutch with only one or two plates in would need more careful setting up than one with three or more, but these little short-arse clutch drums will usually take another plate to compensate for the thinness and also give extra friction area for more efficient gear selecting.

If you're not in a hurry, I'll have a look at their two Trumpet plates next time I'm in the Bungay area.

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Online hampshirebiker

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2018, 10:01:58 am »
I thought VS would recork most clutch plates.
Postal - Liphook Hants - But just into West Sussex.

Online MilitaryRon

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2018, 12:20:52 pm »
You're right HB, but I doubt the cost is much different to the Welsh lot. https://villiersservices.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_58_59&products_id=76

Ray I'll phone Drags on Wed and hopefully get someone like Mick who knows what he's talking about. Unless you want to ride round there at Sparrows fart and be on the doorstep when they open :-*

I think the oil is also an issue.  The book says 3/4 pt of SAE 10. But 1/2 of that comes out the back of the clutch on start up, so less oil and what grade do you use? I've heard others using auto transmission fluid.  Ron
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 12:24:27 pm by MilitaryRon »

Offline Owen

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Solutions not problems
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2018, 04:34:07 pm »
could you put another plate in to tak up any slack?  i think the bonded plates thinner than the cork as has been discussed before.
1940 C12 (350cc)
1945 C10 & C11
1953 C10 & C11
Anyone want a B20 in need of a lot of tlc

Online MilitaryRon

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2018, 05:05:46 pm »
Already tried that Owen. I actually bought a new plate from Britbits for that purpose. I was going to renew the whole set, but the new plates are only 2mm thick and the originals are 2.2-2.3 mm so no point renewing them. Ron

Offline Brillandy

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2018, 06:34:11 pm »
I'm confused (admittedly not an unusual occurrence) by anyone wanting to ditch cork plates, which work fine without any jiggery pokery, for Surflex which don't work well without at least some fettling.

With regard to previous comments on the virtues of re-corking, I can only think that those who dismiss it out of hand have never tried it, because it is so easy and cheap to do.

Well that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it!
Rant over.

Wishing you all a happy & healthy new year

Andy
56 C10L
60 Nuffield DM4

Offline Owen

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Solutions not problems
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2018, 06:37:05 pm »
I thought the Cork ones were two different sizes. The chain wheel being thicker than the drive plates. 1/4" springs to mind?
1940 C12 (350cc)
1945 C10 & C11
1953 C10 & C11
Anyone want a B20 in need of a lot of tlc

Offline Tman

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2018, 06:57:58 pm »
I'm confused (admittedly not an unusual occurrence) by anyone wanting to ditch cork plates, which work fine without any jiggery pokery, for Surflex which don't work well without at least some fettling.
Andy

I've always found older cork plates to be much "sweeter" in use.

Online MilitaryRon

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2018, 07:46:27 pm »
I'm more than happy to use cork plates, but the ones fitted are really worn down, so I want to replace them now to save stripping down again in the near future.

Andy I'm interested in your comments about Cheap and easy! I've had a quote of £21 a plate from the team who took over from Bob Metford and a quick search on the internet has come up with inserts at around a £1 each, which equates to around £72 for my three plates, if I do it myself. Do tell where I can get them done cheaper. The new Surflex plates are £7-£9 each.  Ron

Offline Brillandy

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2018, 09:23:06 pm »
Ron, cheap and easy if you do it yourself!  I do not think that someone with your experience would have any difficulty, and think of the satisfaction.   8)

Andy
56 C10L
60 Nuffield DM4