Author Topic: Control Cables  (Read 368 times)

Offline BSAc11g

Re: Control Cables
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 12:48:51 am »
Venhill's do a nice little tool for doing that.
i always thought it was a bit of a waste till I borrowed one from a friend.
Went strait out and bought one for myself that if i am lucky will be here & not on loan to some one else when I need it.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 07:19:43 am »
Several years ago I bought a cable making kit from Venhills, all nicely stored in its own plastic tool box. It's very refreshing and quick to be able to make a new cable in minutes, with everything to hand. There's even a nice pair of cutters that scrunch through the thickest cable neatly and three sizes of punches and little anvil things for splaying the different nipple ends just right.

It was a bit pricey, at the best part of a couple of hundred quid, I think, but there are enough nipples, ferrules, adjusters, inner and outer cable to get my money back.

Before I had cable cutters, Mr B, I used to cut my inner and outer cable with a thin cutting disc in an angle grinder. I'd wrap a bit of tape round the cable first, mainly because it was easier to 'mark the spot'. Hold the cable in the vice, between bits of cardboard, stretch the end out with one hand and ZZZT through with the angle grinder. Clean as a whistle!

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Online Tman

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 09:51:10 am »
I usually tin the cable in the required area and cut it with a large pair of end-nips. The quick and dirty way is a sharp cold chisel on an anvil of some sort.

Offline BSAc11g

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 10:38:43 pm »
I use the tin first then cut method as well.
However it helps a lot if you remember to slip the nipple on first so it ends up being below the cut.
Use the tool to splay out the cable then slide it up & solder it on
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online hampshirebiker

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2019, 08:22:23 am »
How do you splay the cable when it's been tinned?
Postal - Liphook Hants - But just into West Sussex.

Online Tman

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2019, 10:00:57 am »
Simply reapply soldering iron to melt the tinning and then splay using favourite pick/scriber/whatever before the solder resets.

Offline BSAc11g

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2019, 11:38:20 am »
How do you splay the cable when it's been tinned?
The tool from Venhills clamps onto the cable really tight .
Then you use a very pointy punch to splay the cable out tight against the hole in the nipple.
Solder has a very low impact & tensile strength and a good sharp blow will separate the strands.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2019, 02:07:15 pm »
My Venhill tool clamps the inner cable, with the loose nipple slid down below the tool, and the special punch will spread the inner cable out into a small cone that will pull tightly into the nipple when the tool is removed. A bit of flux paste round the end, a quick dip in the little crucible of molten solder and Robert's your father's brother!

The punch will probable do the same job if the strands have been pre-soldered for cutting but I've never tried it. There's three sizes of channel in the tool, and three punches, for the different sizes of inner cable.

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.