Author Topic: My C11 Restoration  (Read 215 times)

Bushy250 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Bushy250

• Running In
My C11 Restoration
« on: September 15, 2021, 02:54:11 am »
Hi Everyone
I have inherited my uncles BSA C11 and am now getting stuck into a full restoration as its quite far gone. I mostly inherited an old filing cabinet full of parts and a pile of bits that were sitting next to it in a damp storage shed. Luckily the engine looks like it only needs a top end rebuild and the bottom end looks in relatively good condition all things considered.

Engine number is ZC11.3438
Frame number is ZC10 4805

Front wheel is a 20"
Rear is 19"

I was always told this was a 1947 bike. Given the Z prefix and low numbers I suspect its 1949. Everything I see says a 1949 bike should have a 20" wheel front and rear. Is it normal they had mismatched rims or was this a modification? The rims are definitely too rusted to ever be re-chromed but they might come up OK with some paint and hard work.

Alternatively I'll fit new rims (I might be blasphemous and fit a pair of 19" just to open up more tyre options)

Any help on this conundrum would be great.

Here are a few pictures to get you're interest

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
Re: My C11 Restoration
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 06:12:49 am »
Yes, it would have had 20" rims front and rear, Mr Bushy, so has probably had a rear wheel fitted from a C10 or a later C11.

I've never found getting hold of 20" tyres a problem but, as you say, choice is limited. The bigger rear rim raises the gearing slightly, which, I think, was the point in BSA fitting the bigger rims in the slightly more powerful ohv bike.

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Online Cosmikdebriis

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 03:23:48 pm »
Possible calendar pic that.

I love these old pics of riders who were riding around on what they could afford and customised to a style of their choice.

Beats a highly polished and restored bike every time for me.

Each to their own though.
A bike on the road... Is worth two in the shed...

Online MilitaryRon

• Gold Member
  • Branksome, in Poole, Dorset UK
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 03:33:28 pm »
He's more of a hippy than you Cosmik ;D  Ron

Online Pete

• Administrator
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 03:45:13 pm »
Possible calendar pic that.

I love these old pics of riders who were riding around on what they could afford and customised to a style of their choice.

Beats a highly polished and restored bike every time for me.

Each to their own though.

Sorted. Although the quality isn't very good.

Pete

Online Bushy250

• Running In
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 04:48:52 pm »
I think your comment about these old bikes is spot on. Its got a history other than how it drove off the factory floor. Its a hard task to restore this beauty. I can get her back to factory original, but the blemishes tell part of the story. A dented mudguard was a dent he put in it and that has meaning too even though it won't to anyone else. I'd never put those aluminium guards on it but now they're there perhaps I should leave them.

My Uncle in the photo - he was definitely a Hippy, but also the cool uncle every kid dreams of having. I don't remember a time when he didn't wear a leather jacket, smoked cigarettes, or play electric guitar far too loud. Genuinely, I have a photo of him stark naked tending his marijuana plants from the same era... But instead I'll just share this other photo of him with his bike.

Unfortunately they are the only 2 pics I have of this bike from its heyday. He also had an AJS but all I really know about that is that the clutch is in a box in my garage. No idea what happened to the rest of it.

Online Bushy250

• Running In
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 08:38:08 am »
A few pics on progress. I have taken a wire brush to the frame to see whats actually usable. There was a lot of rust as you can see in the picture of the main frame. Fortunately it all looks in serviceable condition. Used a product called "evapo-Rust" - not cheap but I am highly, highly impressed - you can see the rear mudguard after it was soaking for only about 3 hours

The rear wheel has come up OK, it will never be suitable for chroming. There is a lot of pitting in the surface which can be filled but I'm not sure if it will be safe.

Engine has been dropped off to my engine builder for a once over - I was intending to do it myself but really want this to be reliable and not have any engine problems. It will get a rebore, new piston, and a top end job. Hopefully avoid a full rebuild but if it needs to be done then it needs to be done.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 04:56:14 pm by Pete »