Author Topic: Points  (Read 232 times)

Offline Richard Whitfield

Just a quick one, should the points be at the top of the inspection cover and the condenser at the bottom or is it the other way around.  I have seen pictures with both on this forum and am I bit confused as to which is right!  Thanks

Online Cosmikdebriis

• Gold Member
Re: Points
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 10:04:32 am »
Just a quick one, should the points be at the top of the inspection cover and the condenser at the bottom or is it the other way around.  I have seen pictures with both on this forum and am I bit confused as to which is right!  Thanks

Are you talking points in the distributor (earlier models) or (as I'm guessing) on the end of the timing cover?

In any event it doesn't really matter but in the case of the latter, it is generally just dictated by the route of the lead coming from the points and where it comes out of the cover.
A bike on the road... Is worth two in the shed...

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 10:35:46 am »
Hi should have said, it’s the one on the end of the timing cover.  C12 1956.  I posted on the forum some time ago. I was having trouble with to Auto A R unit and only now getting around to putting it all back on the bike.  When I took the back plate off the one that holds the weights, it came apart ( I think it’s called the sleeve and action plate assembly). I am now trying to reassemble it all with the bike at 1/4 “ BTDC so wanted to know where the points backplate should be.  Thanks

Offline chaterlea25

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 12:39:38 am »
Hi Richard
If the cam on the auto advance is fitted 180 degrees out then owners probably just put the points plate in to suit and get the timing right ???

John

Online Cosmikdebriis

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 09:59:12 am »
My advice on this would be to put it all back together pretty loosely with the points plate so that the wire has the most sensible exit (Can'y honestly say I can visualise it but I would guess it was pretty obvious.

See if the timing can be set up. (assuming you know how).

If not then remove the points plate and  (I'm pretty sure you can do this in situ) Pull he advance/retard unit apart and spin the cam through 180deg before reassembly.

Try again.

To be completely honest. It's been a while since I played with on so someone might well say I'm talking utter bollox. Apologies in advance if so.

Finally, if an moderators are looking in. It might help Richard to split this as I'm sure many members will have already switched off to this thread.
A bike on the road... Is worth two in the shed...

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 10:44:29 am »
Thanks for replies.  Advice very helpful.  I am going to try with the points at the top first, should be easier to set gap with them at the top, as my bikes have got older they seem to have got lower,  Or is that me struggling to get back up!  I think I know how to set the timing, even found some old rizla papers in a tin in my old tool box.  Thanks again. Richard

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 07:27:45 am »
Makes little difference where the contact breaker is fixed - the twins have two sets opposite each other, so, as has been said, it's where the low tension wire is most comfortable.

Blue Rizla for more accurate timing because they're thinner! Licorice papers only in an emergency at the road side.

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.