Author Topic: Running batteryless ???  (Read 1224 times)

Offline FrAlan

Re: Running batteryless ???
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 09:33:42 pm »
I like it, the whole idea of specials is that they are personal to the owner, one mans meat and all that.I have built several over the years including a bsa/triumph, constructed from the leftovers of a friends triton building efforts. Not the worlds finest motorcycle, but it cost nothing and we had lots of fun with it.

Offline Tman

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 10:26:21 pm »
Norton lump in a Triumph frame? Probably no worse than the Triton it became, in most riders' hands.

Offline MilitaryRon

• Gold Member
  • Branksome, in Poole, Dorset UK
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 06:06:08 am »
Norton lump in a Triumph frame? Probably no worse than the Triton it became, in most riders' hands.
Can't remember ever seeing that? It was nearly always a Triumph engine in a Norton Featherbed frame that was concidered the best of the marques for a cafe racer.  Ron

Offline Tman

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 12:43:50 pm »
There'd be no kudos with the "fast boys" in doing it, but probably just as fast in most peoples' hands (mine included!) It was just my first thought with FrAlan saying he was using up leftovers.

Offline timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 05:23:39 pm »
Some folk build some strange specials and I think it usually depends on what bits you've got laying around.

Back in the late '60s there was a bloke from Ipswich way who spent a huge amount of time and money building a Jayton - a 600 AJS motor in a Wideline frame. Also, in the '90s, a chap from the suburbs of Newmarket who put a 250 James engine in a little Honda frame.

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Offline Donald

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 06:46:16 pm »
Back in the 70's I had a Berkley with a villiers 2stoke engine, with reverse gear, I cut it all out and fitted a mini front sub frame engine and gearbox, wonder what happened to it now.