Author Topic: Should I go in  (Read 444 times)

Offline kdm

Re: Should I go in
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 08:04:51 pm »
BSA gearboxes are really bullet proof and rarely suffer from anything more than a broken spring or an oil leak. However, they never managed to make them mechanic-proof!

Next question?

brilliant, best quote I've seen in a long time. ;D
1954 C11g

Online Owen

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Solutions not problems
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 09:01:49 pm »
They don't leak oil, they just mark their territory. Does it count if I'm still thinking what the problem is? If so I'm up to £600 so far.
1940 C12 (350cc)
1945 C10 & C11
1953 C10 & C11
Anyone want a B20 in need of a lot of tlc

Offline Crashtestdummy

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 12:15:04 pm »
They don't leak oil, they just mark their territory. Does it count if I'm still thinking what the problem is? If so I'm up to £600 so far.

I do hope not as I can not afford it, I feel that selling is my only option at this time.
Classic bikes require a lot more knowledge and money that I have.

Online hampshirebiker

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2019, 12:29:34 pm »
Don't be put off Andy, they're only pulling your leg, but I assume you knew that. You've tried selling it and that didn't work, so step back and have another think.
Is it rideable, I can't recall without reading back through. Recap on the history; giving all the detail you can.
Postal - Liphook Hants - But just into West Sussex.

Online Owen

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Solutions not problems
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2019, 01:02:09 pm »
I prefer tea over money, my missus prefers prosecco. We  gladly offer advice FOC for the betterment of all.
1940 C12 (350cc)
1945 C10 & C11
1953 C10 & C11

Offline chaterlea25

• Silver Member
  • nr Cork Rep of Ireland
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 04:10:41 pm »
Hi All,
CTD,
A worn or notchy clutch drum / centre
Will cause all sorts of gearchange problems,
I rebuilt my C12 starting at 17 to get it on the road once I turned 18
All the manuals etc, I had was
The book of the BSA250 by Arthur Lupton
You can still find this book for about a tenner on eBay
The bikes are basic, and usually easily
repaired
Take off the primary case,
Check for up and down play on the clutch
Check for a tight chain
Check for wobble on the clutch outer
Pressure plate as you operate the kick start with the clutch lever pulled in
Check that the gear lever returns to centre
Every time you operate the gear change

John

Offline Crashtestdummy

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 05:54:51 pm »
Hi guys I will ride her again tomorrow and record as much detail as I can and post on here. It is a little disheartening at this point but I can see that once sorted it will be a nice machine to have and ride. I have other bikes so I can take my time it is just having the courage to go in and see what is wrong. Two strokes no problem for me this is another thing.

Online Owen

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Solutions not problems
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 06:05:36 pm »
Don't think of the down side, just the pleasure of riding her once fixed.
1940 C12 (350cc)
1945 C10 & C11
1953 C10 & C11

Offline Crashtestdummy

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 08:47:19 pm »
Indeed I have recruited a mechanic buddy of mine to help so I am going in to find out what is wrong and will post on here. Thank you all.
Andy

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 08:49:46 am »
It's a waste of our time and yours if you just ignore well-meant advice and continue to grope around in the dark, Mr C.

I tried to make things as simple as I could in my first answer and you seem to have taken little notice. It takes five minutes or so to get the bike on its centre stand, on a plank of wood if necessary, so the rear wheel spins free and put it up and down through the gears with a dead engine. This is the very start of elimination, which is what fault finding actually is. You don't need to use the clutch to do this - just two hands jiggling about.

This takes very little courage and should point to clutch or gearbox and avoid lots of unnecessary messing around.

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Offline Crashtestdummy

« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 03:22:17 pm »
It's a waste of our time and yours if you just ignore well-meant advice and continue to grope around in the dark, Mr C.

I tried to make things as simple as I could in my first answer and you seem to have taken little notice. It takes five minutes or so to get the bike on its centre stand, on a plank of wood if necessary, so the rear wheel spins free and put it up and down through the gears with a dead engine. This is the very start of elimination, which is what fault finding actually is. You don't need to use the clutch to do this - just two hands jiggling about.

This takes very little courage and should point to clutch or gearbox and avoid lots of unnecessary messing around.

Ray

Ray I take all of you advice on board, yesterday I did your test with the engine off and all three gears select up and down, I again did as advised and checked and adjusted the drive train and clutch, then started her pulled the clutch in counted to three selected first gear and this was fairly smooth, on a test ride first to second is smooth and second to third I missed a couple of times but I think more down to my technique, on the down change I am slowing more than before and the box is smoother and usable.
I thank you all for the help you so freely give to us new boys. This is the first right foot change bike I have ridden so as I say probably now more down to my technique or lack of.

Andy

Online Owen

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Solutions not problems
« Reply #26 on: Yesterday at 03:34:07 pm »
Don't forget you are supposed to keep your foot pressed down/up until the gear has fully engaged.
1940 C12 (350cc)
1945 C10 & C11
1953 C10 & C11

Offline Crashtestdummy

« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 04:18:31 pm »
Owen,
Thank you I was beginning to sort of work that out whilst riding, again thank you for all the great advice

Andy

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 06:45:35 pm »
On these old three-speeders, Andy, it's best to let them take their time on the road. If all the gears, and neutral, select easily with a dead engine, with the assistance of rocking the rear wheel to help the dogs engage into each other, then the gearbox is fine. That saved you sixty quid an hour for needless work!

I usually change down these old gearboxes on the road by hooking my heel over the front of the pedal and pulling it upwards. It's easier to go through the longer travel needed on these old pedals compared to the short shifting of more modern bikes.

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Offline Crashtestdummy

« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 07:05:01 pm »
Ray again great advice I will try that next time out, I have to fix a puncture first lol. I am getting a great deal of satisfaction from all this as modern bikes have to many gadgets.

Thank you again,
Andy