Author Topic: The right speedo in the tank  (Read 324 times)

Online camman3

• Gold Member
  • The more I know, the less I understand......in UK
Re: The right speedo in the tank
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2020, 09:16:32 am »
The Co-operative fitted Veglias when they were short of money. They weren't termed "Vague-lias" for nothing.. ;)

Mine never did anything wrong and seemed quite accurate, withstanding the T140 many vibrations  ??? with no problem...in their rubber mounting rings, so you could actually read them :)
Graham
1957 C12
In sunny (sometimes) Christchurch, Dorset, UK

Offline haddy

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2020, 11:08:02 am »
The have 80mph speedos.I just ordered on on the net $50 looks the part dont care if it works just something to fill the hole.I got a quote to repair one $450.The last bike i restored a bantam D speedo i got a sticker made for the dial $80 minimum charge. So the repo is a bargain

Offline haddy

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2020, 01:17:45 pm »
speedo sticker

Offline rogerinfrance

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2020, 07:39:00 pm »
Did no one notice that is a Jaeger. This is the speedo out of an expensive car and ones with the Jaeger mark are normally expensive. It certainly is not original!

Online Tman

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2020, 09:30:29 pm »
It may be a Jaeger patent but it's a Smiths Chronometric and almost certainly intended for a bike.
Car instruments have similar faces but the case is more rounded at the back and probably impossible to fit into a tank, as here.

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 07:30:20 am »
Jaeger and Smith's chronometric speedos are identical, and were made under licence, I think, so are interchangeable.

Several years ago I had a Matchless with a Jaeger speedo on it that Ian Bartrum just fitted a new Smith's face card to when he repaired it because the needle kept sticking. He told me they were exactly the same when I asked him if the Jaeger was rarer and more valuable.

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Offline rogerinfrance

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2020, 07:56:59 am »
Yes, I know, but Smiths made them uner a licence to a Jaeger design and it is the genuine face plate that made it more rare ( That is a stupid statement more rare thats like saying more less) Anyway apparently in certain cars to have the correct speedo face is worth a lot of money, (or so I was told). Anyway they certainly were not fitted to BSA C11 or I believe apart from some Brough not fitted with the large speedo, any motorcycles. Personally, I would put it on ebay etc and get a correct one for the bike. He may even make a bob or 3. Saddle, have not photographed it yet. Niggle maybe that the two holes at the front are missing something.

Online craigc11g

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2020, 08:17:25 am »
have a few different speedos fitted to british bikes and the most accurate in mph is one from a morris car I think  , its exactly the same size as a smiths crono ,  fitted it some years ago after one went missing at a bike event . still fitted trip does not work
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 10:08:02 am by craigc11g »

Online donkey

• Please excuse grammer.
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2020, 06:22:31 pm »
 The prices some folk are asking for on the likes of the old e bay are quite HIGH for smiths dials, I have a 80mph smiths that has Jager Patent + the serial numbers on the face & a 120mph that has just got Smiths and the serial numbers on the face that are still in very good condition & working perfectly well as they were serviced/checked a few years ago
donkey
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 06:56:20 pm by donkey »

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2020, 08:49:15 am »
When the clocks are renovated, Donkey, they always fit new facias into them unless you tell them not to. The repairer will have a stack of these new cards for the different types of clock faces, all as original and complete with part numbers. The only difference is that the numbers don't fall off the new ones.

I like to keep mine oily-rag original if possible but I've got a couple of renovated Smith's Chronos on the shelf that have new facias because the old ones were too bad to re-use. There's a 120 mph and an 80 mph and they just look like original, new Smith's speedos.

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Online donkey

• Please excuse grammer.
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2020, 01:59:01 pm »
Ray,
The speedometers I have were just light serviced checked cleaned not refurbished or rebuilt no parts were changed so they are still original
donkey