Author Topic: Wheel wobble c12  (Read 614 times)

Offline Madorc

Re: Wheel wobble c12
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 07:17:27 pm »
Further update guys, On a run today my buddy following me noticed the the rear wheel was not running right on investigation the tyre was not fitted correctly just like the front, doh so it's back to the garage to get it sorted and the it may be cured. Tim

Offline Madorc

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2019, 05:14:15 pm »
Update to update, Looks like the problem was bad fitting of tyres front and back (not being on the bead, )it only cost me a new tyre and new front bushes to solve a problem that should not have been there- bugger- lesson learned always check to see they have done the job they have been paid for. My local bike garage said the back was worst than the front. Anyway I have a new(20 miles) avon road rider 3.25 x 19 up for sale £40 I will be at Stafford on the Saturday if anybody is interested. Tim

Offline rogerinfrance

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2019, 04:23:48 pm »
Two things to do on a bike after fitting tyres, (old bikes not so much on new) On older machines the bearing nuts become loose and will need rechecking as it is really likely. Now the tyres, jack the wheel free from the ground and spin the wheel, any fluctuation will cause a wobble even just a 1/16th". A jiggle up and down or side to side is an instant problem. After I built up a wheel before it went back on the bike I span the wheel in a vice with a marker to see if there was anything. Modern tyres can be a real problem as they are so much thinner than older ones.
   Frankly I prefer older rubber as being thicker they are less likely to puncture, and when they do you can still control the bike. I had a front puncture at 100mph in 1965 on my Triumph and I could even ride it home with a ruddy great hole in the tyre, (not at any speed) I also rode my Honda 50 from Devon to Iver Heath in 1963 due to a hole in the tyre and just filled the hole with rag wrapped around the tube and repaired the tube and put just a low pressure in it. It only took me about 6- 8 hours! Still it took my dad almost as long in his Hillman Minx.