Author Topic: Wiring Loom  (Read 332 times)

Online dpow-trow

Wiring Loom
« on: October 30, 2020, 10:48:38 pm »
Can some one point me in the right direction for the cutting lengths to make a new wiring loom for my 1946 C10 tele. Would like to peg it out on a plank of wood and make it up and wrap it before fitting. I think I have seen such a thing on this forum but cannot find it.

David in Trowbridge

Online newc10guy

Re: Wiring Loom
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 11:20:52 pm »
I bought an actual lucas loom for my '46 on ebay.
I think it was less than $70, if you decide it's too much trouble..
'46 c11 (nearly resurrected)
'51 AJS 18 (next in line)
'74 TL125 (saved from the skip)

Offline C10Jim

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 11:50:51 pm »
Owen has produced a spreadsheet of sizes and lengths for the various bits, very helpful for me when I made up a new loom.

I’m sure he’ll be along shortly

Online Owen

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Solutions not problems
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 08:03:55 am »
Here you go for the dynamo bikes
1940 C12 (350cc)
1945 C10 & C11
1953 C10 & C11

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 08:07:22 am »
I've made many new looms for my bikes over the years, David, and it's much easier to make it up on the bike. You just start with the first wires, any order, so say the green and yellow ones from the dynamo to the regulator and tape them loosely together and to the frame where they need to go. Then follow them methodically with the rest of the wires, live wire from the regulator, switch to coil, earth back to frame, etc, etc. It's really straightforward and, once you have all the wires cut to length and taped loosely together, you take it all off the bike to feed it through the sleeving, heat-shrink the ends if you want and solder or crimp the terminals all on. It can then be refitted back to the frame and secured with nice, period-looking straps.

I buy lengths of different size sleeving, and also cotton braided stuff, so my looms look as good as the best ones from Draganfly. I expect others on here do much the same.

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Online dpow-trow

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 10:26:26 am »
Thanks Owen I knew I had seen it before somewhere, well done, and for Ray yes I had that in mind have not seen cotton braided wire for a while was going to do it in black plastic but would like some numbered sleeving I have a few missing. cheers for your inputs all.

David in a very wet Trowbridge

Online timsdad

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 10:34:00 am »
I just use ordinary, different coloured wires, then plastic sleeving then the whole lot hidden inside bigger braided cotton sleeve for an old look.

Ray
Just a motorcyclist.

Offline BSAc11g

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 03:06:29 am »
I will second the advice to make the loom on the bike .
I use releasable cable ties tight on the frame then a smaller one through it for the wires to run through .
That way all of the connections can be made and you can check there is sufficinet lengths to allow for fork movement & handlebar movement before the wires get bundled & tied.
Bike Beesa
Trevor